Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Don't believe everything you hear!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Max
  • 32 Replies
3 moms liked this

Several years ago I was chatting with mother of a student. She was raving about what a great year her child was having with me. So was so pleased they ended up with me because her neighbor had such a horrible experience with her son's fourth grade teacher. 

She proceeds to tell me these horror stories about this witch of a teacher who was verbally abusive to this poor little boy. 

The mom was so glad her daughter had never had a teacher like that because that person should even be allowed to teach!!

Guess what?

I bet you already guessed!

That's right, it was me! The mother had no idea I was the teacher her neighbor had warned her about. The stories she was told were so exaggerated, warped and missing vital details, they painted me to be the worst teacher you could imagine. 

So when you hear about that horrible teacher, consider the source. Go check things out for yourself. 

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Well said! The cattiness (sp?) Of some parents amazes me. The parents are one of the myriad of reasons we now homeschool.

My kids go to charter school classes and while I think one of the teachers is a bit too hardnosed, it is obvious they have the kid's best interests at heart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree with you. I would rather give the teacher a chance to see how they are with MY CHILD before I believe the horrendous stories.

I heard horrible things when it came to my 2 oldest boys 2nd grade teacher. And when my son got her, she was complete opposite what I had heard. I was glad I let that information go in one ear and out the other.

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my goodness! Some people huh? I don't believe the chat I hear between parents in the halls or outside of the school, I find most of it to be a big steaming pile of BS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!!

Veronica

gsmom9
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

wow. that had to be a gut wrencher. sending hugs

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

The next time I hear parents swapping "horror" stories about a teacher, maybe I should hand them some salt. . .

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gsmom9:

wow. that had to be a gut wrencher. sending hugs

Honestly, it was hard to keep a straight face. I didn't tell her, but I do hope she told her neighbor how much she liked me.

When I was a beginning teacher I would have been devastated. But 20+ students a year times 15 years... if only one mom hates me I must not be that bad!

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Thank you for sharing. I will remember this the next time I hear about a "bad teacher".

ermka
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM
3 moms liked this
My son's kindergarten teacher was exactly like this. I had heard serious horror stories about the woman. Mainly how rigid she was & how no one (of the 3 people I spoke to) thought she was appropriate as a kindergarten teacher & would be better suited with older kids etc etc.

My son and I both seriously LOVED this woman. If I could have packaged her up and taken her all through school with my kids I would. If the district hadn't changed zoning, she would have been dd's teacher this year (and I honestly, wish she was.. dd's teacher is.. questionable.. ) She was amazing with the kids and wonderful with parent communication. We had a conversation once (while the kids were at an assembly & she, another mom & myself were cleaning up after one of the holiday parties) and I told her how scared I was, she was very honest and admitted that there were quite a few difficult kids in her class a few years before & that she had to be strict to keep things under control & felt horrible, because she knew that the kids that were really well behaved were intimidated by her & she didn't really have much fun that year either. That kindergarten was supposed to be fun & she was really burnt out and she still felt awful. It was really eye opening.

And now that my novel is over... lol. I absolutly get your point! It's all perspective & everyone's got a different one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that this post was VERY timely Max!  It seems we have a few newcomers that their sole purpose is to come to this thread to stir up controversy, not truly to get advice.  I also see a pattern of taking their kid's word carte blanc without knowing all of the facts.  There was one earlier about the son being suspended that comes to mind.  Of course after going to school, low and behold, the dear son had not shared ALL of the actual details. The parent gossipers are the other issue.  My own SIL has learned that teachers that worked very well for my kids, did not for my niece.  It's not a good or bad teacher it's just different.  There are MANY of us here that have extensive experience in schools and know how things REALLY work.  What is sad is many of the moms who do the loudest squawking don't realize that they give themselves a reputation at the school which works against them and ultimately their children.  I do not believe what another mother ever says about a teacher or administrator.  I have certain criteria that I am looking for in order for my kids to be at the highest level possible.  I really encourage parents to take the time and spend a few days (more than an hour at a time) in their child's classroom before they make say things negatively.  There is ALWAYS more to the story. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)