Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

wwyd

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM
  • 14 Replies
on sunday i am supposed to in look at a house for rent in a different school district than my son goes to. the house is a 3 bed house that includes water sewer and garbage in rent and allows cats and dogs. these are all things my family needs. plus the apartment my family is in has someone i think is a pedophile across the courtyard. here is the thing, ds is in 1 grade and has told me flat out he doesnt want to change schools. i want to respect that. i just dont know what to do. thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM
How far away from the school is it? Will they let him continue to attend if you move?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM

not to sound dumb, but does he have to change schools?? we can move between districts in the area (public schools) as long as there is room. 

can he complete the school year and then worry about transferring next year?

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM
If not I would tell him you are going to do what is best for the whole family because that is your job and move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy06and09
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:20 AM
i found out about the house after business hours today so i was unable to talk with the school about him continuing there. my hopes are that he can but i thought you couldnt. i plan to call first thing tuesday. i would keep him there during november because i would still be renting the apartment then but after that i dont know...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I agree with PP. See if he can remain in the school, keep in mind this may mean you providing transportation to and from school. But if not, I understand you want to respect his wishes but sometimes as parents we have to do what's best for all of our family not just one. You will know in your mind what is right when the time comes.

mommasaint
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I think that if it comes down to having to make that decision, you should move. Sometimes it's more beneficial to the whole family. He's the kid, your the mom. While he might be upset over having to move schools, he will adjust quickly. Kids are resilient. We moved last year and all 4 of my kids did amazingly well. I moved yearly as a kid because of my dad's job. We were always sad to go, but always made new friends quickly and adjusted just fine. It actually gave me many useful tools into adulthood. 

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM
My daughter has gone to school outside of our zoned school since we moved....about 4 years now. It is aporoved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM
In the end moving sounds better for the family and he will adjust in the end...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Generally, schools will let you continue attending if you move as long as you provide the transportation and your child isn't a discipline problem.

kirstensmommie
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM

People don't always want to do stuff they have to do. It will be hard on him at first but he may end up loving his new school. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)