Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Sent home from school sick - insanity, please read (sorry it got a little long)

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM
  • 6 Replies

Wednesday I got a call from the school nurse. My 6 year old threw up a little bit after lunch. She didn't have a fever, but I took her to see the doctor if for no other reason just to get a note so if she had to miss school the next day it would be an excused absence.

After checking her out and doing a rapid strep test the doctor determined that she probably just ate something that didn't agree with her and cleared her to return for school the next day.  

Thursday morning she felt fine so I sent her to school. Three hours into the day I get another call from the school nurse saying that although my daughter was fine, it is school policy that they cannot return to school for 24 hours after vomiting.  I argued that the Doctor cleared her to return to school.  I even argued the angle that by the time they realized she was there, if you did the math, it HAD been 24 hours since she was sick.  They didn't care, they wanted me to pick her up right away.  

When I picked her up they told me that she told them that she had thrown up earlyThursday morning before everyone woke up. That was the first I heard of that, but made me look like a jerk for arguing with them.  Because of this they asked me not to bring her to school Friday.  

I think she might be suffering from some temporary indigestion, who knows.  She hasn't been sick again since and is totally fine. I'm so annoyed.  Now she has missed 2 half days of school and one whole day all over some indigestion...  I realize where they are coming from with their policy, but I don't understand why being cleared to return to school by her doctor isn't good enough.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

<3 <3 <3 Mommy Shannon <3 <3 <3

love you sign

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It is their policy even if the doctor clears since a doctor can say they are fine and within a few hours that child has thrown up again.  I have been there LOL.  DD had a Upper Resp Infection last year and due to coughing and vomiting, she missed a whole week of school.  We took her to the doctor who gave her the week off since she was so miserable.  The teacher told us what work we had to do at home which was reading 20-30 minutes a day since it was kindergarten.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Most schools have this policy.  It may not be perfect, but really do you want someone who has vomited in school, because I don't.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

That is frustrating, there are non-contagious reasons for throwing up which don't need to keep them from going to school.  But I've never heard of any school having an exception, if they throw up, they can't go.

Did you say anything to your DD about telling you if she throws up?  I think I'd be annoyed with her for not telling me, esp since she then told the school.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:08 AM

The policy is 24 hours after the event.  A doctor's note doesn't change the policy.  You should have kept her home on Thursday.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I agree. You also ned to make sure DD knows to tell you every time she throws up.

Quoting ddhb2007:

The policy is 24 hours after the event.  A doctor's note doesn't change the policy.  You should have kept her home on Thursday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

well, the schools are all the same not much you can do..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)