Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ok moms I'm at that time for the talk and need help!

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM
  • 28 Replies
Ok so it is that time for me to have "the talk" with my dd. she is almost 7 and we had a brief convo tonight while she was showering. She asked a few questions and I briefly answered them. I told her we would talk more about it. Ahhhhh I know what I have to tell her but I thought I had atleast 2-3 years and I a, so not prepared. I want to tell her it all and not sugar coat it. Help please! I don't want to scare her/freak her out but I want to tell her. Kwim. Help!
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM
The talk??? Which one?? Period talk??

If so, i think it's too early!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I think now is the right time before other students start misinforming her.   There are books at the library about this topic for girls and one for boys.  As long as you answer as honestly as you can, you will be fine.  It is hard not to overly react when they ask questions.  DD is 6 and really hasnt asked too many yet.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Quoting steffielou_who:

The whole talk ! She has been asking questions since her brother was born last year and the questions just keep getting more and more. Yes I think the period part is kinda early but I know ppl who started at 8 and 9. So I don't think it's too early just don't want to scare her. She knows babies come out of her vagina but that's it
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Quoting frndlyfn:

I think now is the right time before other students start misinforming her.   There are books at the library about this topic for girls and one for boys.  As long as you answer as honestly as you can, you will be fine.  It is hard not to overly react when they ask questions.  DD is 6 and really hasnt asked too many yet.

Dd didn't start asking questions till she was 5 1/2 and I had her brother. I am very open about all of this. I am just scared I will say the wrong thing( either too much or not enough). That's why I asked
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Dd didn't start asking questions till she was 5 1/2 and I had her brother. I am very open about all of this. I am just scared I will say the wrong thing( either too much or not enough). That's why I asked

Argh.  I cant find any books for under age 8.  One was by the american girls.  Obviously she doesnt need to know about diseases yet or positions ya know?  I think simple answers to her questions will be enough.  Maybe talk to her ped or family doctor on how to approach the questions.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Quoting frndlyfn:

My cousin has a good book for her age about molestation ( she did a college project about it and is sending me the book). And yes basics is all she needs to know not. From her future period to sex and how babies are made the rest we will approach later when it is age appropriate. I'm just scare and not sure how to talk to her about the basics. One of my best friends just hat this convo with her 8 yr old and I am waiting for her to respond to my text. Ahhh. I am about to become a pure romance consultant. Cause I can talk about sex with anyone. Why can't I find top he courage or strength to talk about it with my own daughter. This feeling sucks
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting frndlyfn:

My cousin has a good book for her age about molestation ( she did a college project about it and is sending me the book). And yes basics is all she needs to know not. From her future period to sex and how babies are made the rest we will approach later when it is age appropriate. I'm just scare and not sure how to talk to her about the basics. One of my best friends just hat this convo with her 8 yr old and I am waiting for her to respond to my text. Ahhh. I am about to become a pure romance consultant. Cause I can talk about sex with anyone. Why can't I find top he courage or strength to talk about it with my own daughter. This feeling sucks

It is scary to talk with our children because that means they are growing up.  I nearly died when dd asked why i had hair on my butt (not actually my butt if you know what i mean).  I just told her that  is what happens when you grow up.  Hair appears different places.  She wants to shave my legs but  i turned down that offer LOL.

steffielou_who
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM
Lmao.. You are ahead of me! My boys are 6 and 8 and still think I pooped them out! But I only have boys so I guess if they had a sister, they would wonder too! Just don't tell her about tampons yet! That's enough to scare any little girl..

Just tell her that as she grows, her body does too and that causes things to fall into place.. And that, in turn, causes things to happen and then go on from there! My mom never had a talk with me! I went to my big sister for that stuff! GL

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting steffielou_who:

The whole talk ! She has been asking questions since her brother was born last year and the questions just keep getting more and more. Yes I think the period part is kinda early but I know ppl who started at 8 and 9. So I don't think it's too early just don't want to scare her. She knows babies come out of her vagina but that's it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Quoting frndlyfn:

Dd has asked questions like that so many times and they started with me having her brother and then noticing my mom has some hair but I don't ( I shave mom trims). And then the questions about my pantyliners( I'm super light don't need tampons). I have re directed her but after her questions tonight. I know I can't she wants answers and I want to give them to her just scared cause I know she is only 6 1/2. I'm really close to one of my older friends kids and her dd 14 is my baby sister and I am close to her ( as my friend puts is her kids love me and respect me). I wonder if I should talk to my friend and with permission talk her her daughter , which my dd loves, and then have the convo
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Quoting steffielou_who:

Lol my dd is screwed when it comes to tampons. I only need about 10 panty liners for my very light 3-4 day period ( and by light I mean light ) I can't even use tampons cause I'm too light and they hurt because of being so light. I'm screwed in that department. When she gets her period when she is ready my mom will have to teach her how to use tampons cause I. Lost lol. (. I did learn the month before I go prego with her. Since I have no idea lol)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)