Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Nervous, advice needed! Update

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM
  • 19 Replies
Update
Dd is freaking out now and doesn't want to go to the gifted charter. :( Dh told her that she doesn't have that option until she tries it for at least a month. He is the one that will be taking her and I think that he is in denial about how she is going to act at first. They come to the car and take the kids into the gym at drop off. I am certain that our little miss drama queen is going to cause a scene with yelling, kicking, screaming and hysterical crying especially on the first day. :(

We will find out the timeline for her starting when I call tomorrow morning to accept the spot. I know it will probably be at least a couple of weeks since we have to fill out the enrollment packet, get things signed by her pedi and her shot records along with contacting her K teacher at the virtual school from last year for a teacher referral and they have to get her records. They will also give her a comprehensive language arts placement test and the Singapore Math placement tests so they know what level to put her in for those. They operate in trimesters too so we don't know if they will have her wait until the next one starts after Thanksgiving or not.

I am wondering if this is a good idea or not. It is the only school in our area that I would consent to send her to that doesn't cost $10-$15k a year. :(

My dd has always been schooled at home, last year with a virtual academy and this year with very relaxed, child led homeschooling. Well, she was on the waiting list for the local gifted charter school and a spot opened up for her. She is going to try it and see how it goes but I need some help in ways to help her adjust. It is going to be a logistical nightmare since the school is a minimum of a 40 minute drive, longer in traffic and bad weather, each way. She'll be there from a little after 8am through about 3:30 and on Wednesdays, will have to go straight to dance from school while we pray that we make it on time.

They have very little homework and they are a very alternative school so I think that she will be okay after awhile. I don't know if the up to 2 hour commute 5 days a weeks is going to be a deal breaker for us with the time and the gas costs. We will have ds tested soon to figure out if he qualifies for the school too. If we stay here, he will have an automatic spot for K for next year as a sibling.

Also, dh is interviewing for a new job that will have us relocating most likely to CA from OH. He would go ahead of us and we would follow in June after dd, ds and my sister finish up with their schooling and dd finishes up her ballet season. We have reserved the right to pull her if it's not working for any of us. If dh doesn't get the new job, we would try to move to the other side of the city ASAP to make the commute part not an issue.
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

First, and foremost, IF your daughter has not been on a schedule because you have let her "lead" then you need to get her on one ASAP.  She needs to start a routine now to get ready to go to school.  Second, I would find someone to carpool with as soon as she begins. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Quoting mjande4:

First, and foremost, IF your daughter has not been on a schedule because you have let her "lead" then you need to get her on one ASAP.  She needs to start a routine now to get ready to go to school.  Second, I would find someone to carpool with as soon as she begins. 

They have carpools but, on Wed I will have to take her straight to dance so I won't have time to drop other kids off. Dh will take her in the mornings because it's only an extra 10 miles for him to take her and get back to work. They also have an aftercare program where dh could pick her up at 5:30 but, that is even more time spent at the school for her. It would save us a lot of money in gas though as, for 4 days a week, it would be $32 for the program. When I talk to them on Monday, I can get an idea of when she will be starting. We have to go through the enrollment and placement testing process first. Also, they run on trimesters so I a not sure if she would start right away or after Thanksgiving when the next trimester starts.
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

IMO I don't think the pressure is on your child but on you. You will have to get her back and forth and on time. She can sleep and eat in the car if needed. My daughter use to attend school 45 minutes away (bus ride). I would drop her off at a friends house in the morning and pick her up after I got off work. I worked 45 minutes north of where I dropped her off. After I picked her up, it was home to pick up her sister (dad got her on his way home from work) and off to all activities. I managed but I sure as heck was tiered all the time. If something happened to the girls during an activity, the parents could always find me in the car sleep. I will all work out.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Quoting RLSMOM59:

IMO I don't think the pressure is on your child but on you. You will have to get her back and forth and on time. She can sleep and eat in the car if needed. My daughter use to attend school 45 minutes away (bus ride). I would drop her off at a friends house in the morning and pick her up after I got off work. I worked 45 minutes north of where I dropped her off. After I picked her up, it was home to pick up her sister (dad got her on his way home from work) and off to all activities. I managed but I sure as heck was tiered all the time. If something happened to the girls during an activity, the parents could always find me in the car sleep. I will all work out.

The getting her back and forth is on me but, it is also a structured 7 hour school day and she has never had to do it before. She is almost 7 and enjoys the fact that homeschooling only takes 3 or 4 hours a day spread out from 9am to 9pm. That is the part that I am worried about with her. Plus, she hates being in the car. She will also have to go to bed an hour earlier and get up 2 hours earlier. This will further limit her time with dh up to when he would leave for 6 months without us. Also, where we would go, there are no schools like this that don't cost an arm and a leg so she would likely return to homeschooling once the move occurred.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree w/ starting to get her into a routine now. Have set times for when you do each subject at home and when lunch/snack times are. It might not get her used to the length of a regular school day, but it will get her used to the structure of it.

RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless she learns early that routines will dictate her life, she is going to be loss. As she gets older she will have to learn how to prioritize her time between school and activities, maybe a job so allowing her 12 hours for school may be doing her more harm than good. This is my opinion. If I home schooled, the child would have XX amount of time to complete assignments. Failure to do so will end up as a failing grade but I'm hard like that. but they would learn the value of time and being prepared. What ever happens will happen. GL with your decision.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Quoting RLSMOM59:

The getting her back and forth is on me but, it is also a structured 7 hour school day and she has never had to do it before. She is almost 7 and enjoys the fact that homeschooling only takes 3 or 4 hours a day spread out from 9am to 9pm. That is the part that I am worried about with her. Plus, she hates being in the car. She will also have to go to bed an hour earlier and get up 2 hours earlier. This will further limit her time with dh up to when he would leave for 6 months without us. Also, where we would go, there are no schools like this that don't cost an arm and a leg so she would likely return to homeschooling once the move occurred.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Quoting RLSMOM59:

Well, since we are child led homeschoolers as opposed to those that school at home, every minute is a learning opportunity and we work in her subjects as they fit in with everything else. We aren't sure when she will start at the school but I bet it will be a couple of weeks at the earliest. I will know more after I call and accept the spot tomorrow. I appreciate the responses.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Quoting wakymom:

I agree w/ starting to get her into a routine now. Have set times for when you do each subject at home and when lunch/snack times are. It might not get her used to the length of a regular school day, but it will get her used to the structure of it.

We plan to start a routine with her and the school has a lot of electives/specials and a long lunch/recess period so that will help. Wednesdays are going to be rough, though. She'll be released between 3:15 and 3:30 and we have right at an hour drive to the school and her class starts at 4:30, she'll have to wear her dance clothes under her school clothes so that she can peel off the outer layers put her ballet slippers in and get into class. I will also have to then leave and take my sister to school and come back.
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Hi MomtoBrenna - we had messaged back and forth a couple of months ago about living in the same suburb. Your daughter can likely be bussed. My daughter attended a special needs Catholic school about 10 miles from us, for 6th-8th grades, and she qualified for bussing through the school district, because of the distance to the school from our house. You should definitely check into it, at least for the mornings, and the afternoons when she doesn't have dance class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Quoting PinkieRed:Hi MomtoBrenna - we had messaged back and forth a couple of months ago about living in the same suburb. Your daughter can likely be bussed. My daughter attended a special needs Catholic school about 10 miles from us, for 6th-8th grades, and she qualified for bussing through the school district, because of the distance to the school from our house. You should definitely check into it.

She cannot be bussed because the school is more than 30 minutes from the school that she is zoned for. Also, that would make her dance class impossible and we don't want to take that away from her as she was advanced by a full year in her Ballet training because she's so good. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Dh works about 5 miles from the school and he doesn't have a hard start time so he will take her in the mornings. It is mostly Wednesday that is the problem and that will remain regardless of how she gets back and forth. If he gets the new job, I will be taking her there and back, though. I just saw your edit so disregard the dance class thing, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN