Dd is freaking out now and doesn't want to go to the gifted charter. :( Dh told her that she doesn't have that option until she tries it for at least a month. He is the one that will be taking her and I think that he is in denial about how she is going to act at first. They come to the car and take the kids into the gym at drop off. I am certain that our little miss drama queen is going to cause a scene with yelling, kicking, screaming and hysterical crying especially on the first day. :(
We will find out the timeline for her starting when I call tomorrow morning to accept the spot. I know it will probably be at least a couple of weeks since we have to fill out the enrollment packet, get things signed by her pedi and her shot records along with contacting her K teacher at the virtual school from last year for a teacher referral and they have to get her records. They will also give her a comprehensive language arts placement test and the Singapore Math placement tests so they know what level to put her in for those. They operate in trimesters too so we don't know if they will have her wait until the next one starts after Thanksgiving or not.
I am wondering if this is a good idea or not. It is the only school in our area that I would consent to send her to that doesn't cost $10-$15k a year. :(
My dd has always been schooled at home, last year with a virtual academy and this year with very relaxed, child led homeschooling. Well, she was on the waiting list for the local gifted charter school and a spot opened up for her. She is going to try it and see how it goes but I need some help in ways to help her adjust. It is going to be a logistical nightmare since the school is a minimum of a 40 minute drive, longer in traffic and bad weather, each way. She'll be there from a little after 8am through about 3:30 and on Wednesdays, will have to go straight to dance from school while we pray that we make it on time.
They have very little homework and they are a very alternative school so I think that she will be okay after awhile. I don't know if the up to 2 hour commute 5 days a weeks is going to be a deal breaker for us with the time and the gas costs. We will have ds tested soon to figure out if he qualifies for the school too. If we stay here, he will have an automatic spot for K for next year as a sibling.
Also, dh is interviewing for a new job that will have us relocating most likely to CA from OH. He would go ahead of us and we would follow in June after dd, ds and my sister finish up with their schooling and dd finishes up her ballet season. We have reserved the right to pull her if it's not working for any of us. If dh doesn't get the new job, we would try to move to the other side of the city ASAP to make the commute part not an issue.