Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Edit***I think it's inappropriate for the school piog

Posted by   + Show Post
I posted this in another group a few days ago but I wanted to post it here as well and get your take.

My son wa sent home Friday with a letter stating that the school will be having an assembly that will be talking about good and bad touches and relationships between adults and children. My ds is in k and I think it's hugely inappropriate for the school to be having an assembly like this. It's crossing the line.
It's for the parents to do and we do talk to ds about it. Well ds is 5 an likes to make up stories. After having a talk with ds about no one touching his privates and ect the next morning he told me that grandma, grandpa, daddy, and he just went down a list if family members, were in his room punching him. This was impossible because our closest family is 750 miles away. But just an example that ds likes to make up stories. I've also talked to him about not making up stories as they can have serious consequences. But he's 5 and he also has ADHD and dosent fully grasp it. So ds will not being going to the assembly because my luck is hell make up a story at school and we will be investigated. Plus again I think it's very inappropriate for the school in the first place to be talking to the kids about it. Even if is ds didn't make up stories he would not be going.
Now I understand that some parents may not teach their kids about these things. And I think they have that right. It's not the schools place.

Does your kindergardeners ( or up) have assemblies like this. Do you allow them to go or would you allow them to go.

Edit- apparently it's a very normal thing is some places. Not where I live. I never had these kind if talks in school growing up. I also emailed a few friends for dont live in my area ad a few cousins. All but one got back to me and said their kids don't have talks about this in their schools either. My one cousin is a teacher and he said they don't talk about it at his school either. I also taught preschool for 5 years at two different schools in two different states. Both very good preschools. We never had these talks with our kids either. In fact at my last preschool it was on the list of things we were not to talk to about with kids even if they brought it up. And this was a top rated school. One of the best in the state. So it's not done everywhere.
I also gave the paper here of what will be talked out with the children.
Good touches and bad touches, molestation, and rape is also mentioned. I pray to go they will not be talking about rape and even molestation with 5 years olds. I hope it's for the higher grades.
Im going I email the teacher and ask for more info. I'm thinking about going with ds to this assembly this way I can see what is being talked about and also so if I don't like what being talked about I can grab him and leave.
This letter was a huge shock to me. It's not something we had in school growing up or that my friends kids have had either. So this letter was a huge shock.
Thanks for all your feedback. Although the few rude comments I got were very uncalled for.
I was also shocked that only 1 mom agreed with me that its to takes about at home not school.

And again ill say how ds knows what a good touch and bad is. He learns it at home. So it's not like he doesn't have the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
ashleyrenee24
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I remember being taught good touch and bad touch in elementary school. I don't see the problem.

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

You said that you talked to ds about it.... if you did... he wouldn't be making up these stories. My oldest is ADHD with anxiety and my youngest LOVES to make up the most obnoxious stories ever. NEVER have they EVER once made up a story like that. You are doing a disservice to your son. I stand by my original comment. And as a previous pre-school teacher. We had someone who used to come into all of the classrooms every year and talk to the kids about good and bad touches... you said your school didn't.... what a crappy school.

Quoting brittani:

Ds knows the difference. I don't thinks its a disservice. Hell still be goin to school that day he just won't be goin to the assembly. I think it's my place and my job not the schools.
I'm thinking about going with ds and then if I don't like the assembly I can take ds and leave
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. I think it's extremely important for every child to know what an appropriate touch is. I thing you're doing your son a diservice by not sending him to school. You could always talk to the school and the teacher, explain how your son is and they can always follow up with him and have a counselor at the school explain it in a way he will be able to grasp it.

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Honestly, people prey on smallest kids the most because they haven't been taught this yet, are more vulnerable, etc., so I think they should be taught early on.  It seems to me to be part of the health curriculum. 

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Do you teach in the public system or a private preschool?  Our public preschool has a health teacher who comes once a month and talks about good/bad touch, stranger danger, and how to stay safe.  

Quoting brittani:

There have been serious consequences but he doesn't care. He has severe ADHD. He goes to therapy for it once a week. I still don't think ds is up for this. Idk. I've taught preschool for 5 years and this is not part of our curriculum. So this is the first I've heard of this being taught. I'm shocked and I think it's inappropriate for k

Quoting disneymom2two:

These talks start in preschool in our district; they're part of the health curriculum.  Yes, I would and have allowed my child to go.  If my child was making stories up, there'd be serious consequences for said child.  

LexRi0709
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I would have no problem with it at all. The more positive influences my dd can have the better. She trusts her teacher, so if her teacher reinforces good touch bad touch, which I've already talked many times about, then I'm all for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hectictracy
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe it will encourage a child that is being touched to tell somebody. Sadly some parents don't teach their children about good touch and bad touch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM
As a parent, I would use my discretion and opt out for my child. For me, that is a subject to be discussed at home, on level with the individual child. I don't think it would be too early for the discussion....it would just be the wrong setting. Truthfully though, I homeschool and this is another reason why I'm glad I do so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Keda84
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM
I would send my DS... Me,DH and his Dr have talked to him about it. He knows to tell me or DH about any problem he is having.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Our school does the same thing, but in both the K and pre-K classes. Like a PP said, perverts prey on young kids because they often haven't been taught the good touch/bad touch stuff yet. Too many parents who think that it's THEIR responsibility to teach their kids, teach them too late. I've worked in a daycare center for 10 years and there have been 4 kids so far that have come to me, after school on assembly day, to tell me that a trusted adult in their life--parent, aunt/uncle, etc--had touched them inappropriately. I think these assemblies are AWESOME.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 6 months old

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

my son got a stranger danger talk last year in kindergarten... I think it's important for this stuff to be discussed with children, whether it's at home, school, or both. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)