Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Edit***I think it's inappropriate for the school piog

Posted by   + Show Post
I posted this in another group a few days ago but I wanted to post it here as well and get your take.

My son wa sent home Friday with a letter stating that the school will be having an assembly that will be talking about good and bad touches and relationships between adults and children. My ds is in k and I think it's hugely inappropriate for the school to be having an assembly like this. It's crossing the line.
It's for the parents to do and we do talk to ds about it. Well ds is 5 an likes to make up stories. After having a talk with ds about no one touching his privates and ect the next morning he told me that grandma, grandpa, daddy, and he just went down a list if family members, were in his room punching him. This was impossible because our closest family is 750 miles away. But just an example that ds likes to make up stories. I've also talked to him about not making up stories as they can have serious consequences. But he's 5 and he also has ADHD and dosent fully grasp it. So ds will not being going to the assembly because my luck is hell make up a story at school and we will be investigated. Plus again I think it's very inappropriate for the school in the first place to be talking to the kids about it. Even if is ds didn't make up stories he would not be going.
Now I understand that some parents may not teach their kids about these things. And I think they have that right. It's not the schools place.

Does your kindergardeners ( or up) have assemblies like this. Do you allow them to go or would you allow them to go.

Edit- apparently it's a very normal thing is some places. Not where I live. I never had these kind if talks in school growing up. I also emailed a few friends for dont live in my area ad a few cousins. All but one got back to me and said their kids don't have talks about this in their schools either. My one cousin is a teacher and he said they don't talk about it at his school either. I also taught preschool for 5 years at two different schools in two different states. Both very good preschools. We never had these talks with our kids either. In fact at my last preschool it was on the list of things we were not to talk to about with kids even if they brought it up. And this was a top rated school. One of the best in the state. So it's not done everywhere.
I also gave the paper here of what will be talked out with the children.
Good touches and bad touches, molestation, and rape is also mentioned. I pray to go they will not be talking about rape and even molestation with 5 years olds. I hope it's for the higher grades.
Im going I email the teacher and ask for more info. I'm thinking about going with ds to this assembly this way I can see what is being talked about and also so if I don't like what being talked about I can grab him and leave.
This letter was a huge shock to me. It's not something we had in school growing up or that my friends kids have had either. So this letter was a huge shock.
Thanks for all your feedback. Although the few rude comments I got were very uncalled for.
I was also shocked that only 1 mom agreed with me that its to takes about at home not school.

And again ill say how ds knows what a good touch and bad is. He learns it at home. So it's not like he doesn't have the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

CPS would only go against the open cases or families that they had in the system already or that we felt were "flagged".... if the child was just absent we would notate and nothing would be done. They didn't go out to every single home.... lol that would be alot of kids homes throughout the program.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

That's interesting. I've always kind of felt that those you protest vehemently against something being taught/shown to their kids really are raising red flags on themselves.

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

WildCat73
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

My daughter is in 6 th grade, I have already had these talks with her and her sister. I have had to have the sex talk with her to and period. Good thing to she started her period at ten. Also , i think it is a good think that they are reinforcing it. I got  a cal about CPR ( not the CPR you usually think of). They talk about changing bodies etc. but at grade level. This year i was given the option of her sitting out. But i am not going to. We have had these talks already. I was at a certain grade in school ( after it was to late and i had already been molested). I would rather my kids know and know what to do if that situation arises. It is a standard cirriculm. They are not going to show them sex.I think it is actually a diservice to to not have my child attend. Especially with what is happening in the world lately. Maybe they mention something i forgot to etc. But it is your son not my child. Do what you feel.

Raeanne1987
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:10 PM
If CPS was notified because my daughtered missed that part of class the school would have HUGE problems on their hands. Maybe I have diffrent beliefs than others but calling CPS because I refuse to let my Kindergartener to sit in a school wide sex talk is rediculous to me! 5th graders take more out of things than Kindergarteners and even if its just a touch talk 5th graders are likely to turn it into sex posing questions that my 6yr old doesnt need in her head yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

You talking about "Hugs and Kisses"?

We've allowed DD to go see it each time it's been shown.  That play has been responsible for helping many children get out of abusive situations.  

I don't find it inappropriate at all.  I'm glad they put on plays such as this one.  

Hottubgodess
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
I agree kindergarten is a bit early. I would keep my kiddos home as well.

You have to remember, not every child has a family that talks like you do. Your little one is lucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM
I think all children should be aware of this, and, unfortunately, many parents do not discuss it. I've had the talk with our daughter. The doctor has talked to her about it. Her preschool discussed it. I see nothing wrong with the school discussing it.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Quoting Hottubgodess:

You have to remember, not every child has a family that talks like you do. Your little one is lucky.

If you have these talks at home, why the hesitation with repeating them at school?

Raeanne1987
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I hesitate because of the content of what is taught, not having control over it bothers me... just my opinion.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

If you have these talks at home, why the hesitation with repeating them at school?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Because my way of addressing it is what I consider age and level appropriate for my kids. No one else is qualified to make that call. Especially with an Aspie for a child. 😏

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I can see that. 

But isn't it worth looking into what will be presented before jumping to the conclusion that it's inappropriate for schools to cover as the the OP did?

Quoting Raeanne1987:

I hesitate because of the content of what is taught, not having control over it bothers me... just my opinion.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN