Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Edit***I think it's inappropriate for the school piog

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • 126 Replies
I posted this in another group a few days ago but I wanted to post it here as well and get your take.

My son wa sent home Friday with a letter stating that the school will be having an assembly that will be talking about good and bad touches and relationships between adults and children. My ds is in k and I think it's hugely inappropriate for the school to be having an assembly like this. It's crossing the line.
It's for the parents to do and we do talk to ds about it. Well ds is 5 an likes to make up stories. After having a talk with ds about no one touching his privates and ect the next morning he told me that grandma, grandpa, daddy, and he just went down a list if family members, were in his room punching him. This was impossible because our closest family is 750 miles away. But just an example that ds likes to make up stories. I've also talked to him about not making up stories as they can have serious consequences. But he's 5 and he also has ADHD and dosent fully grasp it. So ds will not being going to the assembly because my luck is hell make up a story at school and we will be investigated. Plus again I think it's very inappropriate for the school in the first place to be talking to the kids about it. Even if is ds didn't make up stories he would not be going.
Now I understand that some parents may not teach their kids about these things. And I think they have that right. It's not the schools place.

Does your kindergardeners ( or up) have assemblies like this. Do you allow them to go or would you allow them to go.

Edit- apparently it's a very normal thing is some places. Not where I live. I never had these kind if talks in school growing up. I also emailed a few friends for dont live in my area ad a few cousins. All but one got back to me and said their kids don't have talks about this in their schools either. My one cousin is a teacher and he said they don't talk about it at his school either. I also taught preschool for 5 years at two different schools in two different states. Both very good preschools. We never had these talks with our kids either. In fact at my last preschool it was on the list of things we were not to talk to about with kids even if they brought it up. And this was a top rated school. One of the best in the state. So it's not done everywhere.
I also gave the paper here of what will be talked out with the children.
Good touches and bad touches, molestation, and rape is also mentioned. I pray to go they will not be talking about rape and even molestation with 5 years olds. I hope it's for the higher grades.
Im going I email the teacher and ask for more info. I'm thinking about going with ds to this assembly this way I can see what is being talked about and also so if I don't like what being talked about I can grab him and leave.
This letter was a huge shock to me. It's not something we had in school growing up or that my friends kids have had either. So this letter was a huge shock.
Thanks for all your feedback. Although the few rude comments I got were very uncalled for.
I was also shocked that only 1 mom agreed with me that its to takes about at home not school.

And again ill say how ds knows what a good touch and bad is. He learns it at home. So it's not like he doesn't have the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

If my son was in public school yes, I would allow him to go.  IMO it is very important and cannot be stressed enough.  Besides, for some kids the adult might be the one touching them.

We used to teach good touch bad touch in preschool.  It's pretty standard curriculum.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM
4 moms liked this

These talks start in preschool in our district; they're part of the health curriculum.  Yes, I would and have allowed my child to go.  If my child was making stories up, there'd be serious consequences for said child.  

Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. I think it's extremely important for every child to know what an appropriate touch is. I thing you're doing your son a diservice by not sending him to school. You could always talk to the school and the teacher, explain how your son is and they can always follow up with him and have a counselor at the school explain it in a way he will be able to grasp it.

brittani
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:50 PM
I never had it in school an I taught preschool for 5 years and we never taught them things like this.
I'm majority of cases it's not the parents touching their kids is other family members or step parents.
The parents should be talking to the kids. I wouldn't think it was so inappropriate if it was for like 2 nd grade and up. But k seems really young for me. Ill continue to talk to ds. A mom In other group said to go with ds. I'm still thinking about that one. This way if I don't like what they are talking about I can take ds and leave.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

If my son was in public school yes, I would allow him to go.  IMO it is very important and cannot be stressed enough.  Besides, for some kids the adult might be the one touching them.

We used to teach good touch bad touch in preschool.  It's pretty standard curriculum.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittani
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Ds knows the difference. I don't thinks its a disservice. Hell still be goin to school that day he just won't be goin to the assembly. I think it's my place and my job not the schools.
I'm thinking about going with ds and then if I don't like the assembly I can take ds and leave

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I don't think it's inappropriate at all. I think it's extremely important for every child to know what an appropriate touch is. I thing you're doing your son a diservice by not sending him to school. You could always talk to the school and the teacher, explain how your son is and they can always follow up with him and have a counselor at the school explain it in a way he will be able to grasp it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittani
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM
There have been serious consequences but he doesn't care. He has severe ADHD. He goes to therapy for it once a week. I still don't think ds is up for this. Idk. I've taught preschool for 5 years and this is not part of our curriculum. So this is the first I've heard of this being taught. I'm shocked and I think it's inappropriate for k

Quoting disneymom2two:

These talks start in preschool in our district; they're part of the health curriculum.  Yes, I would and have allowed my child to go.  If my child was making stories up, there'd be serious consequences for said child.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeanne1987
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I have my dd in private school and this is one of the reasons why, they want to teach our kids things way to early. Now I don't believe in sheltering my child but it is MY duity as a parent to teach MY child on this subject. The more we put in our kids heads the more curious they get and we wonder why there's 12 yr olds having sex... they learn the basics and want to know what its like.... Now this is just my opinion and Im not knocking down those who disagree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM

That wouldn't be allowed in our school.  There's no way we'd have enough room for everyone if parents started showing up and wanted to sit with their kids.  You could take your kid out of school beforehand or keep them out all day but sitting with them would not be allowed.

Quoting brittani:

I'm thinking about going with ds and then if I don't like the assembly I can take ds and leave 
Cindy18
by Cruella on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Although it may be the parents job to teach this, let's face it, some do not. Some are the ones abusing the kid. I don't care if the oddest are against it being the parent, if it helps just ONE kid get out of a bad situation, I say have 10 assemblies a year!

URHonor
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Schools are teaching more and more because parents aren't! I think it's a good idea...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)