Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Things need to change

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

our home has been pretty sloppy when it came to rules. there was no set rules...just unacceptable behavior.  well that needs to change! my 5 year old picked something up some wheres  and I'm not happy. His new statement is "hey women" to me...ohhhh hell no he is not going to talk to me this way. sooo.. starting tomorrow we are setting house rules.. so my question is my oldest are 5 and 7 so what should be the consequences for breaking the house rules? what works for you?

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

First set house rules and determine how many warnings they get.   For dd who is age 6, taking away privileges work best.   It may seem as if she doesnt care they are gone but not true. She is just able to move on to a different activity.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

we do a points system with my 6 yo

when he behaves he gets a point, or 2 . he gets points for cleaning his room, wathcing his bay brother< like while i cook dinner or such> and putting away dishes/groceries.

he looses points for bad behaviour, 

he can also buy things with his points, like if i say no dessert, he can offer a few points for a dessert.

at the end of each month the points are redeemed for a toy, or cash for piggy bank

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM

why starting tomorrow? I'd start as soon as he said it the first time, with a simple "that's not an acceptable way to talk to me, if I hear it again then __ (insert punishment)"

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I like natural consequences for things.  So if they talk rudely to you, tell them you won't respond until they can talk politely.  The key is to say it calmly yourself (this is my struggle sometimes!).  Then, ignore them until they do talk politely.

If they don't pick something up, it gets put away & earned back or thrown away.

If they aren't ready to go, you leave without them (if that's an option) or they go as they are (with pjs on, without their shoes (hopefully those come along & they get put on in the car) etc).

October is Celiac Awareness Month - did you know that only about 1 out of every 5 or 6 people who have Celiac Disease are diagnosed?  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (42) David (55) Augie (5) Alex (3)

seraphimsong
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My 6 year old dd loses privileges or has to go sit in her room for a bit. I don't have a lot of issues with her though, so those work pretty well. My ds is too young to know what is going on.

soymujer
by Mikki on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I like this idea, I may have to try this with my 7 year old.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

we do a points system with my 6 yo

when he behaves he gets a point, or 2 . he gets points for cleaning his room, wathcing his bay brother< like while i cook dinner or such> and putting away dishes/groceries.

he looses points for bad behaviour, 

he can also buy things with his points, like if i say no dessert, he can offer a few points for a dessert.

at the end of each month the points are redeemed for a toy, or cash for piggy bank

family in the van   Mom of four

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:12 AM

In our house we have set rules. If the kids break a rule, the first time, they get a warning.  The second offense is a time out at the kitchen table. The amount of time in time out  depends on the offense and age of each child.  My daughter is 8 so she gets 8 mins, and ds gets 5 mins as he is 5.   Without a word I walk the child to the table, sit them in a chair, and set the timer on the microwave. When the timer goes off, time out is over.  Before I let them go back to playing we sit and talk about why the behavior they displayed wasn't appropriate, and the concequences of that behavior.  If either child tries to get up before the timeout is over, or has a tantrum, the timeout starts all over again. I haven't had to do to many timeouts recently, but their have been days where my kids have had 20min time outs.   If after, the warnings, and timeouts, they still continue to break the rules, then the kids start to loose privilages like tv,computer, or video game time,  and playdates with friends. 

TATUMSMOMMY456
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a 5 yr old and we do the red light system with her. Her clip starts out on green then moves to yellow then red when she gets in trouble. It works so great!! We have been doing it for about 4 months and she has never had to move to red bc yellow scares her enough. I've never even told her what her punishment would be for moving to red but she must think it's something bad, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN