Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 5 yr old sat down with the magnadoodle yesterday and started writing out math problems. He was speaking them aloud as he did. I heard him saying things like, "9+5 is 14, -1 from that is 13....." Later he was talking about wanting to play Candy Land and he said "You know, candy and land both have a-n-d in them and they are in the same order in each word."

His teacher says he is very advanced but he is very immature behavior wise. I agree with that. He's been having tantrums lately about everything. When he is not acting like a 2 yr old though, he seems more like he is 10+.

How would you work on the immaturity? I don't know what brought it on, but it's really annoying. He'll do stuff like ask the teacher to go to the bathroom and she'll tell him to use the one in the room and that'll lead to a meltdown because he likes the one in the hall better. Or he'll flip out because a green crayon is not available (he is verrrrrry obsessed with green) or things like that.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Replies (11-17):
whoodathunk
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Talk with your doctor, be very specific with your concerns and keep a log.  Then, work with him vigilantly and don't tolerate socially unacceptable behavior.  Punish meltdowns as unacceptable behavior with a time out.  If/when the meltdown continues, follow with quiettime in him room.  Tell him he can join the family when he behaves appropriately.  Do not accept any diagnosis as an excuse to tolerate his behavior.  Most importantly, socialize him.  Asking parents for playmates, take to the library, playground...anywhere you can get him around other kids.  Encourage him to play, pull him aside and correct inappropriate and role play appropriate behaviors.  Before long, he'll be too old, so take advantage of this time.

Good luck! 

From a mom with the same kid...even the green crayons!!!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Go with your mom-instincts. Start w/ his dr. and tell him all your concerns, and about dh's Aspergers.

AnGLInterrupted
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I'm not sure if the "advanced" math is normal or not.  My daughter is 5 and they are learning math this year (which surprised me) and she's going around counting things.  Not anything like 9+5=14 but like 1+2=3.  KWIM?

The behavior..  every kid goes through it I'm assuming.  My daughter has moments when I think "OMGosh she's 15 already."  Then she'll turn around and stomp her feet, throw things and cry like the world is ending because Sponge Bob isn't on TV that day.  SMH

MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM

it sounds like aspergers to me my nephew has that if i were you instead of speculating I would get him tested do you have a regional center in your area?

sunflowers12
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

nothing, he is five he is going to do things like this.. when he is doing well praise him and not so well redirect him that all you can do.. they will not be a mature individual for sometime.. so that part is way off. heck my dh is 57 and still acts like your son!! lol so you see at least your son has an excuse.. unlike my dh!!

mommynac
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM

As pps have suggested, I would have him tested.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM

My initial thoughts also go to Asperger's or PDD-NOS or another ASD. A lot of that sounds like Nathan (he has PDD-NOS)- and I'm also pretty sure my DH is on the spectrum. He's not diagnosed by professionals because he refuses testing, but he is by me (and so is HIS father). Haha!

Teachers can't diagnose and neither can pediatricians, but a ped can help you find the proper path to having him tested if you are leaning that way. Nathan's pediatrician kept putting me off and saying, "He's a boy, they develop later..." etc. but it got to the point where that just wasn't a feasible explanation anymore. His K teacher actually was the first to agree with my suspicions and had him set up with the testing by the school psychologist within the first few weeks of school. He had a working educational dx before he had a medical dx, but that came just a few months later.

Good luck in finding the path you need to take!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)