Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Question for Elementary Teachers.

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM
  • 18 Replies

My DS, is in 2nd grade. He is on the Honor Roll and likes school okay. He is exhausted when he gets home from school and we just found out he needs bi-foculs because he is crossing his eyes when he reads. He's had glasses for a couple of years. He has homework every night, 20 minutes of reading, answer a question about what he read and his spelling homework. Usually takes him around 45 minutes to an hour to do it. He doesn't mind reading but at the end of the day he is just so tired and ready to just relax.

Okay, now my question.

What if I were to read to him for that 20 minutes and then have him answer the question? I think that is still in the spirit of reading comprehension. If you were his teacher would you be upset?

I would ask his teacher but I have not gotten a response to the last few emails I've sent her and I am very frustrated. I am going to bring it up the lack of responses at the parent/teacher conferences in a couple of weeks. That and at this point, I feel I need to do what is best for him and I hate that our evenings are so stressful.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

BUMP!

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I'm not a teacher, but I don't think you reading to him is the point. The point is him being able to read by himself and understand what he's reading.

Hopefully the new glasses help. I'd think having your eyes cross would make it harder to read. My dh got bifocals when he was 3. Funny to think of kids so young needing bifocals, but it does happen.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - did you know that only about 1 out of every 5 or 6 people who have Celiac Disease are diagnosed?  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (42) David (55) Augie (5) Alex (3)

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Quoting GwenMB:

I'm not a teacher, but I don't think you reading to him is the point. The point is him being able to read by himself and understand what he's reading.

Hopefully the new glasses help. I'd think having your eyes cross would make it harder to read. My dh got bifocals when he was 3. Funny to think of kids so young needing bifocals, but it does happen.

He should get them next week and I do hope they don't make him so tired. 

He can read and he reads very well. He is just so tired at the end of the day and I get that because I am the same way. He just shuts down and it becomes a battle and I don't get enough time with them as it is, so I don't want to spend our evenings fighting.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM
I can definitely understand why that's a struggle. Any chance he can do his reading earlier? Is he in an after school program where he could do it?
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

If he is that tired at the end of the day, maybe he needs more sleep at night? Have you had his iron levels checked?

I think reading to him defeats the purpose of the assignment. It's not reading comprehension if you're not reading it, kwim? That said, I wouldn't have a problem with it being a TEMPORARY fix until he gets his bifocals.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 13 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 6 months old

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Quoting GwenMB:

I can definitely understand why that's a struggle. Any chance he can do his reading earlier? Is he in an after school program where he could do it?

No. He comes home right after school. He comes in, has a snack and then does homework. If I wait and try to get him to do it later it's even harder. So it's right away or not at all. I gave him Friday and this weekend off. He isn't going to make his 100 minutes but he was just miserable.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I would see if he can have a little break after school to eat a snack or just chill for 30 minutes.  Then do homework while you are fixing dinner.  DD is 6 so she does the book a day w/ a reading journal during the week as homework each day.   I have her read the book best she can once and then after that I or her daddy will read the book to her.  She has glasses as well but it is due to her astigmatism and farsightedness.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

If he is that tired at the end of the day, maybe he needs more sleep at night? Have you had his iron levels checked?

I think reading to him defeats the purpose of the assignment. It's not reading comprehension if you're not reading it, kwim? That said, I wouldn't have a problem with it being a TEMPORARY fix until he gets his bifocals.

He is already getting close to 11 hours at night. He goes to bed at 8 and I mean passes out and then gets up at 7am. He is extremely healthy. He did just grow 2 inches in the last 6 weeks.

Lovingmomfarm
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I would ask his Dr. about how he is so tired.  Might be that he has some levels have.  Does he have a snack when he gets home?  If so what kind of snack?  

I understand you wanting to read to him, but the purpose for the student to read is not only to work on comprehension but to work on word recognition, sentence structure,  pace, voice, and much more.  It is very important that he does the reading.  Maybe have your son read to you.  I would mention your concerns to his teacher but I would also call the Dr.  If you are not getting a response in email, try calling the teacher.  I would try after school is out, lunch, or when you son would be in PE, music, or art.  

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Quoting Lovingmomfarm:

I would ask his Dr. about how he is so tired.  Might be that he has some levels have.  Does he have a snack when he gets home?  If so what kind of snack?  

I understand you wanting to read to him, but the purpose for the student to read is not only to work on comprehension but to work on word recognition, sentence structure,  pace, voice, and much more.  It is very important that he does the reading.  Maybe have your son read to you.  I would mention your concerns to his teacher but I would also call the Dr.  If you are not getting a response in email, try calling the teacher.  I would try after school is out, lunch, or when you son would be in PE, music, or art.  

He has a snack, usually fruit and cheese or whatever he didn't eat at lunch. He is a very healthy kid, just a lot like me and at the end of the day, we are done!

I understand what the assignment is for but he isn't having any problems in school. He reads ALL DAY LONG! Why the need to force it on him at home? He is also starting HATE reading which pisses me off because we are a family of book lovers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN