Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Hard to think about!!!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
  • 2 Replies

I'm having an extremely hard time coming to grips with the lastest incident in Colorado. No, I didn't know Jessica Ridgeway personally or her family. My problem is that when I was married, my ex-husband's little sister, who is now about 15, was onlt about 10 or 11 and resembled Jessica very much. I just couldn't imagine if something would have happened to her or her brothers. I'm no longer in their lives, much to my dislike, but I still love those children who have now grown into beautiful young adults, and it would still break my heart if something were to happen to them. I've known them since the youngest ones were only 2. My own children don't remember them as I didn't have children with my ex, and I pray every day that this doesn't happen to my own children either. My very soul would be torn from me if it did. We had an abduction just last week here where I live. A father left his sleeping child in the car to go pick up another child and a drunk man stole the car right out of the driveway. He had only been out of jail for 4 hours. Thankfully, police found the car thief, the car, and the boy unharmed. I wish all missing children cases were this easy. Thanks for listening!1 

by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM

The odds of your child being taken by anyone is VERY LOW, let alone a stranger.  The media sensationalizes these stories.  It doesn't make it easier for the family involved, however, to work yourself up is pointless.  Take the opportunity to teach your children how to handle various situations.  Equip them with the tools and knowledge that they will need if they, on a remote chance, were faced with an unpleasant situation.

AshleyD.
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I actually worry most about one of their fathers taking them.If that happened I would surely be in prison. My fiancee has taught my 7 year old things such as pressure points and he actually remembers them thankfully. My 2 year old is rarely anywhere without one of us so I don't worry about her as much yet. I know it's coming in our neighborhood though. There have been numerous reports of some creeper in a white utility van trying to lure kids. We don't live in a great area and many people allow their very small children to walk to the bus stop by themselves. I know the likelihood is slim, but its still just always in the bacl of my mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN