Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Homework trouble with a 5 year old

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 12 Replies
My dd Paige, who is 5, is in pre-k this year. To my knowledge she is doing fine in the classroom since I have not gotten any bad reports from her teachers. My problem is after we get home from school she doesn't want to practice writing her letters. She will color her homework alright other than she doesn't really take her time to stay in the lines, but the artwork that she brings home from school shows me that she can stay in the lines.

What can I do at home to get her to practice her letters and take her time coloring her homework?

Thanks in advance.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think coming home from prek to color and practice letters more is good or stimulating for a preschooler. Let her relax and play.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I will second this advice.  At that age kids need to play and explore more than they need to sit at a table and practice coloring and writing.  

Quoting mjande4:

I don't think coming home from prek to color and practice letters more is good or stimulating for a preschooler. Let her relax and play.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I would give her 30 min-1hr after school to have a snack and wind down.  Then approach homework again.  At this age she sounds right on track for her skills and they are just practicing so explain to her just to slow down when doing something.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Is this something the school is expecting, or just something you want to do on top of going to school?

I wouldn't expect her to practise anything unless she wants to do it.  My son had little to no interest in practising writing & is doing just fine with handwriting in K.  I'm actually rather surprised at time about how neatly he can write.

MommaTasha1003
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Dont let her color until after she has done her writting... Also Id try giving her a break. bring her in, give her a snack & read a book or something with her, then maybe while you are cooking dinner have her do it..

sonshining
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I'm in agreement with the above Moms. She is young for "homework time." So, let up in her and maybe have her practice letters every other day. Put a star or sticker on the page she does her letters on. Let her enjoy your praise and appreciation when she does color well and practice her letters. You don't want her to begin dreading homework when she does start school.

ambercates
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Make it fun, and don't do it everyday! I teach pre-k, and we don't expect them to write in the lines perfectly! If they can even write letters we are happy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with everyone.

No reason for a preK student to sit and practice after school. 
My son is in preK and I never make him practice letters. But he really getting interested in it on his own. So he tries to make words and will ask me write something so he can copy it.  

The best thing you can do with her is to read every day. Just read, read, read!!!

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting maxswolfsuit: 

The best thing you can do with her is to read every day. Just read, read, read!!!

I really agree with this point.  Reading to her is far more important than any other single educational thing you could do.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - did you know that only about 1 out of every 5 or 6 people who have Celiac Disease are diagnosed?  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (42) David (55) Augie (5) Alex (3)

jmp1279
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM
I don't make her practice her letters everyday. Just as a suppliment to what she is doing in class.

I try to have her do something while her sister is taking a nap.

I just want her to take an intrest in school and not be like her dad.

Her homework is coloring which is only once a week.

I'm just trying to help her in school, but I feel like I'm failing her somehow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)