Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Day off?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:02 AM
  • 20 Replies

Kiddo had a rough day yesterday, and a rough week last week.  She's been acting out a bit in school and yesterday she didn't want to do her school work.  I seriously wonder if she's being challenged enough.  She comes home with new reading books and she can read them perfectly the first time through with me.  I think she needs a tougher reading group but that's besides the point.  I was thinking about asking her if she wanted to have a day off just to read, color, have lunch together, and just hang out.  So I can really talk to her instead of reacting to yet another bad day.  Is this alright or should I just let her slog on and find her own way?  She's in kindergarten.

Update: Thank you all so much for the advice!  I did decide to let her stay home which worked out for the best since she spent a good chunk of the morning in the bathroom.  Poor little thing.  While we were coloring yesterday kiddo told me that a little boy shoved rocks down her pants and it made her rump sore.  She said it was ok though because according to her friends the kid is known as a "reject".  I know kids will be kids and all but this made my blood boil.  A little boy has no business anywhere hear the waistband of my daughter's pants.  The problem is that I don't know if there is anything I can do about it since it wasn't something that happened this week.  Kiddo said it was awhile ago.  Do I bring this to the teacher's attention or should I just let it go?  I told kiddo that no one has the right to jam anything down her pants and if it happens again she is to immediately tell an adult.  The other problem is is that she doesn't know this boy by name since he's in another class.  Oh playground drama...

by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chymerra
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I've given my DD breaks like that. If you think she needs it, then do it.

bri2011
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:34 AM
Yeah I think that's a good idea. She's only in kidnergarten so no biggie imo to miss a day here or there just cause. Have a non pressured talk with her, find out what she likes and dislikes about class. Also, if u think she needs more of a challenge, talk with the teacher and advocate for ur lil one :p
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Thanks!  I worry about questioning the teacher's decisiions since I worry that if she's offended that she might take it out on my kiddo.  This probably stems from my own experience of a kindergarten teacher who hated me and pretty much made it her mission to make me cry every day.  Should I tell the school the truth or just have a magical sickness?

Quoting bri2011:

Yeah I think that's a good idea. She's only in kidnergarten so no biggie imo to miss a day here or there just cause. Have a non pressured talk with her, find out what she likes and dislikes about class. Also, if u think she needs more of a challenge, talk with the teacher and advocate for ur lil one :p

bradandadamsmom
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you should schedule a conference with the teacher and maybe include the school counselor and vice principal. there are ways to challenge our kids and as time goes on they may put her in a more advanced reading group. As it is just the beginning part of the year they may not be at that point yet. 

I have a 7 year old and he is well advanced in reading and yet he still is 7 and acts 7. 

They all have their off days more or less and so if you think a day off will help then go for it. 

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 6:56 AM

I spoke with her teacher last week and we're supposed to meet this week.  I sent in a note on Friday saying that I was free to meet any day this week and haven't heard anything about day/time for a meeting.  It's like the teacher says one thing and does another.  I get confused.  She sends home a note in kiddos hw buddy saying she wants to meet, and when I call her she says how much she adores Olivia and how she is usually such a good girl.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only mom in the class with a kid that acts up.  Are all these other kiddos saints?

Quoting bradandadamsmom:

I think you should schedule a conference with the teacher and maybe include the school counselor and vice principal. there are ways to challenge our kids and as time goes on they may put her in a more advanced reading group. As it is just the beginning part of the year they may not be at that point yet. 

I have a 7 year old and he is well advanced in reading and yet he still is 7 and acts 7. 

They all have their off days more or less and so if you think a day off will help then go for it. 

bradandadamsmom
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 7:04 AM

No the other kids are not saints. They just can't tell you what the other kids do. 

Your child can though. 

You'll just really have to pin her down on the conference. 

Your daughter may be bored. 

The teachers are dealing with kids from one extreme to the other. meaning that where your child may excel at something, well there are children that are struggling with it. 

So the teacher is trying to hit all grounds on that. 

I've gone through this since preschool with my own son. We just go one day at a time with it and conference as much as we can. 

communication is key. If your child is acting out at school you do have to follow through at home with consequences. That way she will know that not only may she say miss play time at school for acting out, something will be her consequence at home as well. 

I know it's frustrating, I wish you luck. 

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
If the teacher won't pin down a day, pick one. Say how does four on Wednesday work? Three thirty on Thursday? Usually that makes them check their calendar so you can get either a yes or a counter-offer on meeting times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I wouldn't come up with a magical sickness because when your daughter says she wasn't sick (and it always comes out), they'll know you lied.  

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM

So what do I say?  A personal day?  I really have no clue.  This is my first experience with kids and school.  I always feel like I am being judged.  I'm probably just being overly sensative.

Quoting disneymom2two:

I wouldn't come up with a magical sickness because when your daughter says she wasn't sick (and it always comes out), they'll know you lied.  

Mom2Boys9501
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 8:04 AM
She needs to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN