Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Daughter with dark leg hair

Posted by   + Show Post

If this question has already been addressed, I am sorry for the repeat.

My daughter has the unfortunate genetic mix of dark and hairy nationalities.  Although I did not need to start shaving until high school, I already see very dark and long hair on her legs.  At what point would you start your daughter shaving?  I don't want her to be teased or feel like the oddball, but I also don't want her to start being too grown-up at such a young age... she is only 8!  My teenage son just started shaving... I am not ready for all of this maturity yet!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
amyleigh80
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I agree.  If she has a problem with it buy Veet for sensitive skin.  It doesn't burn or smell like other depilatory creams and it leaves the skin smooth and it only takes 3 min and then you wash it off.

Quoting banana-bear:

If she's embarrassed by it, let her Nair or Veet it off.

Sami....
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 9 and she shaves. There's no set age for this. It's whenever they ask.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM

If she asks, that's the time to start. It's just personal hygiene. Would you hold off on deoderant because it seemed too grown up? I understand the opinion that we should not be ashamed of our bodies, but I don't think it's OK to force a child to be teased. Body hair is an evolutionary holdover from the days when we did not have the knowledge to make decent clothing. Other kids (not ours, of couse) can really suck when it comes to mocking thier classmates.

I have tried every possible way to remove hair other than lasers (too expensive) on my own body. I am VERY fair (think of the whitest person you have ever seen and go a shade paler from there), but my leg hair and armpit hair is dark. I have a ton of it. It grows fast. I do wax my pits, which lasts about 1 week, but for my legs, shaving is best for me. I just can't stand the pain and time of waxing that much area when I know the hair will be back in a few days. Nair doesn't work for me at all. I've treid the extra-strength version a few times, and it took away about half of my hair. I am asking my mom for an at-home laser kit (the "No-No") for Christmas.

My oldest girl is 8 and also has fuzzy legs. Fortunately, she is very blonde, as is her leg hair. Once she asks about hair removal, we will try different methods (perhaps Nair would work for her) and use whatever she is most comfortable with.

I would no more dictate to her how to deal with body hair than I would tell her how to handle her period when she it arrives. Personally, I use a Diva Cup (love it), but I think that for a young girl, pads or junior tampons would probably be more comfy. That may seem off-topic, but it really is not. Her body, her choice.

kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, I started shaving in 4th grade. My parents would not let me (actually I didn't ask...I was a bit of a maverick as a child), so I did it myself, and wound up with gashes all over my legs! Better to have mom or dad help you.

As for the pain of waxing...let her try it if she wants and see if she is up for it. People have different levels of tolerance (which really means that some people are more sensitive to pain, not wimpier). I have delivered 3 children with no pain relief, contracted spinal meningitis when I was 17 (there is no pain comprable to that outside of serious burns...childbirth was a cake-walk compared to that) and I have no patience for the pain involved in a leg wax. I know that the hair will be back in less than a week, so I'm not willing to invest in it. Yes, for most people it lasts a few weeks, but not for me. I'm one of those people who, if they wanted, could be a record-holder for hair and nail length. Must be some weird genetic thing. Honestly, it's a pain in the ass. I have to file my nails daily and my hair grows crazy-fast. Unfortunately, that applies to leg hair as well. If I shave in the morning, I have stubble by the evening. Not just the stubble; you can see the hair growing in the folicle in an hour or two after I shave. Given the fact that I am as pale as a vampire, and my body hair is dark, that means shaving at least once a day (or, if you know me, you will see that I usually wear pants, even if it is 90 degrees outside :) ).  Give her information and let her make her own decision. However, do not bring it up before she does. An 8-year-old should not be concerned about leg hair. But, if she is, help her take care of it.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM

When they ask I will teach them how.

Lispi
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM
As someone that can truly relate to your dd, I can honestly say support her and show her the different alternatives she has. Kids can be really hurtful and there is nothing worse for her self steem than feeling unhappy with the way she looks. I remember how miserable I was at age 9 because my mother would not allow me to shave and I was the only girl with that issue in my class. I finally shaved behind her back one day. I didn't want my dd to go thru that. She was teased since 3rd grade. She decided to start doing hair removal when she finished 5th grade. We tried waxing but she couldn't tolerate the pain. The chemicals didn't work properly and so she had been shaving. I taught her how to do it and she is much happier and confident since. Support your dd, she will really appreciate it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Belovedmoonpixi
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I didn´t start my daughter shaving, I just allowed her to shave when she felt self-conscious enough to ask permission to do it.

GotSomeKids
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I had the same problem and my parents didn't let me shave until the 8th grade.  I think I was 12 at the time, maybe 13.

My neice had the same problem right around the same age.  Her parents wouldn't let her shave, but what they did do is allow her to go to the salon and get some work done on her eyebrows.  Those were the biggest stand out for her.  Other than that, they let her start shaving around the age of 13.

I would say don't even mention it unless she mentions it first.  Just because it bothered you, doesn't mena it will bother her. 

MamaGlitterBug
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Whenever she requests to? Of it bothers her or she becomes a victim of bullying, ect.

I'm Jess...wife to Jared of 11 years...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 12, Amethyst  9 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 8 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 5.. I proudly breastfed Elijah until his 4th birthday when he completely self-weaned.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

toybar02
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I had the same problem when I was younger, im very hairy and got teased by my classmates, they called me a werewolf and didnt want to sit next to me, I didnt get to shave until I was 13, I snuck in the bathroom and took my dads razors and shaved every hair I could find, kids can be very cruel so I would nair it for her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN