Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Daughter with dark leg hair

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

If this question has already been addressed, I am sorry for the repeat.

My daughter has the unfortunate genetic mix of dark and hairy nationalities.  Although I did not need to start shaving until high school, I already see very dark and long hair on her legs.  At what point would you start your daughter shaving?  I don't want her to be teased or feel like the oddball, but I also don't want her to start being too grown-up at such a young age... she is only 8!  My teenage son just started shaving... I am not ready for all of this maturity yet!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
banana-bear
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
If she's embarrassed by it, let her Nair or Veet it off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM

In our house it is 13, regardless of hair color.

Once you start shaving there is not going back, let her be a little girl as long as possible.

BuzyMommy35
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If let her shave or nair once she is embarrassed. I don't believe this is one of those things that age should dictate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting banana-bear:

If she's embarrassed by it, let her Nair or Veet it off.

Be very careful with those, they can burn very sensative skin.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Kai is 9 and is going to get a shaving kit for Christmas. She is a fur ball and is very uncomfortable showing her legs.....which is hard because she LOVES the beach. She has been wearing long pants, even on hot days because she is embarrased. I am trying to encourage her to be comfortable in her own skin, but it is hard when I don't go through 3 days without shaving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaiasMommy619
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

My daughter is being teased at school by a couple of girls for being hairy...she is only 8. SHe asks me why she is that way and its from her dad...hes a fuzz ball. I honestly think these kids are being forced to grow up way too fast. Shaving and nair etc is not necessary. I would wait as long as you can. I am.

Tracys2
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Wow, I never even knew people shaved till I was at least 10 or considered that I had hair on my body till I was 12 or 13 and my mother pointed it out (I was a swimmer). In our swim team when I was older (like 15) we'd have shaving parties, and anybody under like 12 used fake razors. This could be unpleasant.

Also, nair does nothing for me- leave the extra strength on 15 minutes, hair remains same as before. So it will have to be a razor, and she'll have scars on her shins like I do. Sigh.

nebcutie
by Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I would wait tell she asks and go from there. My DD is 12 and doesn't really care yet. Her friend has the same problem and has been shaving since 9. 

sonshining
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

There doesn't need to be a particular age. When she is ready, if she's being teased or is just uncomfortable with her legs, go ahead and intoruce her to razors and shave cream. It's ok, I know she's young, but it's not like you're letting her date!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Minimum of 12 in my house...

We need to be teaching girls to be proud of their bodies in their nautral form, and to not give into peer pressure at 9~10 years old. What will peer pressure be like at 15 if we teach them to gine in to something as STUPID as shaving legs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)