Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Daughter with dark leg hair

Posted by   + Show Post

If this question has already been addressed, I am sorry for the repeat.

My daughter has the unfortunate genetic mix of dark and hairy nationalities.  Although I did not need to start shaving until high school, I already see very dark and long hair on her legs.  At what point would you start your daughter shaving?  I don't want her to be teased or feel like the oddball, but I also don't want her to start being too grown-up at such a young age... she is only 8!  My teenage son just started shaving... I am not ready for all of this maturity yet!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
LEY1307
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I started shaving when I was 7. I regret it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I'm in the same boat...DD is almost 8. So far she hasn't said a word but I'm dreading that day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Why not wax when she is ready? It does not make the hair harden, stays away longer, etc. I will never shave again and I would not let my daughter shave only wax.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Is she asking to shave? I definitely wouldn't bring it up yourself. If she's getting teased, she'll let you know about it.  If it is her idea, then I really don't know the appropriate age. I'm hoping to get to 12 with DD, but I suspect I'm way behind the times (she's blond, so it'll be a bit less of an issue).

ambercates
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM
This

Quoting BuzyMommy35:

If let her shave or nair once she is embarrassed. I don't believe this is one of those things that age should dictate

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM
My daughter is the same, she is very hairy (blame the Mexican in her lol) it hadn't started to bother her yet. I will probably let her start removing the hair in middle school if she asks.
MamaJess9
by Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM
This. When it starts to bother her, let her get rid of it.

Quoting BuzyMommy35:

If let her shave or nair once she is embarrassed. I don't believe this is one of those things that age should dictate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Quoting aetrom:

Why not wax when she is ready? It does not make the hair harden, stays away longer, etc. I will never shave again and I would not let my daughter shave only wax.

Waxing hurts!
CafeMom Tickers
RLT2
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I have the SAME problem, but my daughter is only 51/2. I'm very interested in these answers, because i was going to post a similar question myself-thanks OP!

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I started shaving the week before 4th grade. My mom taught my twin sister and I. I am so thankful that age did because we wore skirt uniforms and I had dark thick hair. Our oldest is following in my footsteps so I will probably start her around the same time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)