Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Daughter with dark leg hair

Posted by   + Show Post

If this question has already been addressed, I am sorry for the repeat.

My daughter has the unfortunate genetic mix of dark and hairy nationalities.  Although I did not need to start shaving until high school, I already see very dark and long hair on her legs.  At what point would you start your daughter shaving?  I don't want her to be teased or feel like the oddball, but I also don't want her to start being too grown-up at such a young age... she is only 8!  My teenage son just started shaving... I am not ready for all of this maturity yet!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Replies (21-30):
CDMelty
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Whenever she says she wants to, I guess. But I'd start her with an electric shaver at that young age, so she doesn't cut herself up.

wunderwifey
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM

My girls have the same problem, but I'm hoping to hold off til 12 or 13 (when I started). But they're hair is a lot darker than mine ever was. their bio mom is part Cherokee and dad is an ape. lol.  so they've got it from both sides. but quite frankly, I don't trust them with a razor yet. (8 and 10). I wan them to stay little girls for as long as possible. Plus, I got teased whether I shaved or didn't. Hair didn't matter one iota.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Hairy bodies/legs/armpits are NOT acceptable socially in the United States.  It shouldn't have an age attached.  If your daughter is asking, then it's time.  Just because she shaves her legs does NOT mean she will "grow up" too soon.  If her teeth are crooked, you will take her to the orthodontist and get them straightened.  It's the same concept.

kayandjsmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I would teach her when it bothers her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queencreekmom
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM
My daughter is the same! She is so hairy already and she is only 7. I am hoping to wait until she is 10, but if it starts bothering her before then I will let her shave. Why make her feel bad about herself?
tammy924
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM
My daughter was 11 when she started shaving.
soymujer
by Mikki on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Sensitive skin does not take well to it. And some be allergic. My daughter couldn't shave legs till junior high

Quoting banana-bear:

If she's embarrassed by it, let her Nair or Veet it off.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I would let her shave. I'm Italian and I know it was embarrassing for me. I started shaving at 10.

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM

When she herself notices it and wants it gone. Don't bring it up and make her self conscience, at her age, she might not even notice or care. When she does want to shave it, don't use nair or veet, so many chemicals and it can burn skin, just get a good razor. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM
WAxing hurts the first time only. Worse with people who have already shaved. It take 5 minutes and in Europe you start with waxing...

And it is done when done whereas a cut from a razor hurts much worse for a longer time

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Quoting aetrom:

Why not wax when she is ready? It does not make the hair harden, stays away longer, etc. I will never shave again and I would not let my daughter shave only wax.

Waxing hurts!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN