Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Daughter with dark leg hair

Posted by   + Show Post

If this question has already been addressed, I am sorry for the repeat.

My daughter has the unfortunate genetic mix of dark and hairy nationalities.  Although I did not need to start shaving until high school, I already see very dark and long hair on her legs.  At what point would you start your daughter shaving?  I don't want her to be teased or feel like the oddball, but I also don't want her to start being too grown-up at such a young age... she is only 8!  My teenage son just started shaving... I am not ready for all of this maturity yet!

by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I have pale skin and black leg hair and I was embarrassed by it.  Without asking my mom, I shaved my legs in 4th grade.  I told her after I did it and she was fine. 

LivinBlessed
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM
My dd is only 4 and she has already noticed and been bothered by her hairy legs! When she asks to remove it, I'll let her. Hopefully she'll be older and in middle school, but realistically it could be much earlier:( I just want her to feel comfortable and keep her confidence high, so that when the serious issues come up, she'll feel good enough about herself to stay strong!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM
High school?!
I was 12 I think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fowlerracin
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:01 AM

My daughte is Spanish and she had dark leg hair at that age also.  I too did not want her to get made fun of nor did I want her to start shaving at that age.  Our compromise, nair.  We naired her legs for years until she was old enough to shave.  As moms we need to encourage our children in a positive way, however kids in school are mean.  Therefore I thought that was a good compromise.  I hope this helps

StarryRain
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Our rule was I could shave when I started wearing a real bra. That was in fifth grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM
My mom forced me to wait andi got teased really bad. Wore long pants even on hot days. I wontt do that to my girls. if they r being teased or uncomfortable we will figure something out. My oldest is 7 and hairy. She hasnt shown any intrest in shaving yet. But it will come before im ready im sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM

As soon as she feels uncomfortable about her body, I would show her how, and allow her to shave.

I don't feel it could harm her. 

Yes peer pressure sucks. Yes, we should definitely teach our kids to not crumple under peer pressure, but this is about her own body and body image. If she isn't comfortable with her own body, then why force her to keep it that way. And be teased mercilessly for no reason? Explain to her how you feel about it. Explain to her that she doesn't have to feel self conscious about the hair on her legs, and that once she starts shaving that it is a never ending thing. 

Personally, if I had a little girl. I'd allow her to shave when she felt she needed to do so. And not force her to wait until some "magic" age to do so. 

I would want my little girl to be as comfortable with her body as possible. There are other things that she will have to accept as part of her body and learn to be okay with, why force her to be okay with hair when it can be removed painlessly?

jewel80
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Age shouldn't be an issue yes I would try to wait as long as possible but if its bothering her teach her to shave! I also don't feel its given into peer pressure BC who wants hairy legs?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HyperMom38
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Now would be the time for her to start shaving.  Get her an electric razor so she doesn't hack herself to death.... lol.  I have the same genetic mix but my mom refused to let me shave so I got teased and was sooooo embarrassed.  I think if the hair is there it's time to start shaving!

Refurbished
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I've never seen the point in making a child wait until a certain age to shave.  If the child is embarassed by it and is able to shave safely, let her do it.  It is socially unacceptable to have hairly legs in our society, and there is no good reason to force a child to have that when there is a way to change it. 

I started shaving my legs at 9.  A boy made fun of me, and I came home crying.  My mother handed me a razor.  When my daughter started becoming bothered by her leg hair, I bought her a women's electric shaver.  I don't even remember how old she was, but she was still in elementary school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)