Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My four year old will be wearing glasses soon. Do you have a child who wore glasses as a toddler or a toddler now who wears glasses? Do you have any tips for me and my son? 

I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old -  and so have my two older sons, but I don't have experience with a toddler/preschooler wearing eyeglasses.

January 30th:

My son lost his glasses at school. He took them off in the classroom and his teachers could not find them. He goes to Pre K and has two teachers, they sent an email to the parents in the class asking any of the other children may have accidently took the glasses home. It's been weeks and his glasses have not been found! I now realize it was a bad idea to buy a toddler an expensive pair of Spiderman glasses without going through insurance (bought them online). 

I did get him a first pair with insurance from Vision Works and he seemed to like them. He was very excited, they were blue and he likes blue... but the next day he didn't like them and luckily I was able to return them. 

Is there anything I can do? Can I talk to the Principal? Or do I just have to accept that he lost them and nothing will be done about it?

He has a backup pair, but I have not been sending them to school with them. Should I, or should I continue just having him wear them at home?

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
DonnaPinitonya
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:42 AM

DD loves her sunglasses. I think with me wearing eye glasses she is comfortable with them and already understands how to care. I don't think you need to worry to much, they aren't new to him, just new for him. 

Chymerra
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM
My DS has been wearing glasses since right after his 4th birthday. He has been really good about wearing them. I also agree with PP's about flexible frames. Zachary has them and they have put up with a lot and not broken
Bent....yes but not broken.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM
He just got them the other day. I am getting him used to them. He wore them a little bit at home Wednesday and yesterday. I will talk to his Pre K teacher today about him wearing them at school starting Monday.

Quoting kmrtigger:

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM

My oldest started wearing them at age 5.  He was very hard on them despite our best efforts to teach him to take care of them.  I suggest metal because they can bend without breaking and be bent back into shape.  Plastic has no give so it will just simply snap.  If possible, get ones with a warranty.  My sons frames came with a 1 year warranty and we definitely used it.  His broke and they replaced them for free because of the warranty.  Even metal can/will eventually break.  They're like a pop can tab - if you bend them back and forth enough times, they snap.

My son's big issue was with pushing them into his face.  He would want to bury his face in a pillow with his glasses still on.  Or he'd want to rub his eyes and would end up rubbing the outside of the lenses.  Things like that.  Try to watch for those types of behaviors and head them off.  That kind of thing was extra hard on the nose pieces, getting them bent out of shape.

Good luck.  My oldest is 8 now and is doing much better taking care of his glasses.  But it was a learning process.  He is on his 4th and 5th pair of frames now.  That being said, my DCP said she's never seen a child so hard on glasses like my son is, so maybe he's the exception.  lol

mewebb82
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Both my kids wear glasses. My son got his when he was 3 and my daughter was 4. Definitely buy flex frames and pay extra for the scratch resistant lenses. I found that my son was much rougher on his glasses at that age than my daughter. He did better with plastic frames and still prefers them, while my daughter did better with metal frames with the wrap around ears. She has a tiny button nose so her glasses would fall off without those wrapping ears. 

Talk about his new glasses constantly until he has them. I didn't with my son and he still fights wearing them 9 years later, but with my daughter I talked constantly and got her prepared and excited and she is so good about wearing them. She is very aware that she sees better with her glasses because we talked about it so much while we were waiting on them to come in and then in the first few months she had them.

ETA: Also, make sure he has a special place for his glasses when he takes them off at home. They always go in that one place and nowhere else so you don't lose them. My son lost his all the time in the beginning because he would just set them down wherever.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this

diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

We have lost them a couple of times already. I just saw your ETA. Thank you, from now on we will keep them in the same place.

Quoting mewebb82:

Both my kids wear glasses. My son got his when he was 3 and my daughter was 4. Definitely buy flex frames and pay extra for the scratch resistant lenses. I found that my son was much rougher on his glasses at that age than my daughter. He did better with plastic frames and still prefers them, while my daughter did better with metal frames with the wrap around ears. She has a tiny button nose so her glasses would fall off without those wrapping ears. 

Talk about his new glasses constantly until he has them. I didn't with my son and he still fights wearing them 9 years later, but with my daughter I talked constantly and got her prepared and excited and she is so good about wearing them. She is very aware that she sees better with her glasses because we talked about it so much while we were waiting on them to come in and then in the first few months she had them.

ETA: Also, make sure he has a special place for his glasses when he takes them off at home. They always go in that one place and nowhere else so you don't lose them. My son lost his all the time in the beginning because he would just set them down wherever.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Bump for update

He lost glasses at school! Please help!

janitablue
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Honestly I would consider it as lost. My son lost his eyeglasses on and off last year. My husband I hope is going to get two glasses or get the prescription wait for a buy one and get one free sale.

Quoting diaperstodating:

Bump for update

He lost glasses at school! Please help!

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM

nerdy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)