Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My four year old will be wearing glasses soon. Do you have a child who wore glasses as a toddler or a toddler now who wears glasses? Do you have any tips for me and my son? 

I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old -  and so have my two older sons, but I don't have experience with a toddler/preschooler wearing eyeglasses.

January 30th:

My son lost his glasses at school. He took them off in the classroom and his teachers could not find them. He goes to Pre K and has two teachers, they sent an email to the parents in the class asking any of the other children may have accidently took the glasses home. It's been weeks and his glasses have not been found! I now realize it was a bad idea to buy a toddler an expensive pair of Spiderman glasses without going through insurance (bought them online). 

I did get him a first pair with insurance from Vision Works and he seemed to like them. He was very excited, they were blue and he likes blue... but the next day he didn't like them and luckily I was able to return them. 

Is there anything I can do? Can I talk to the Principal? Or do I just have to accept that he lost them and nothing will be done about it?

He has a backup pair, but I have not been sending them to school with them. Should I, or should I continue just having him wear them at home?

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
ninamsi
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM
My 9yr old had the ports goggles when he was a toddler. I tried glasses with a strap. That did not work. He was so little that I had problems finding glasses to fit him. He had two surgeries. My ds still needs industrial strength glasses but his father got a stylish pair and they been repaired and replaced. I'm sure your son will be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM
My daughter got them a few months before she turned 4. At first, they gave her a headache and she didn't want to wear them much. But a few days in, she realized that she could see better and we haven't had a problem since (she's 8 now).

My hubby is an eye dr, and he always tells parents the best thing you can do is make the kids wear them. For little ones that still struggle, he suggests giving them a rest time with them off, 15 minutes every few hours at first, then every few days, take off 5 minutes and add to the time in between, it's no time before they're not asking to take them off.

My son, is now 4 and the last time we checked his eyes, he said he'd probably put him in them next year before he goes to kindergarten. But *hopefully* it shouldn't be a problem since he's only ever known us and our oldest wearing glasses.

Hopefully your sons excitement will last!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM
My 9 yr old is supposed to wear them but he doesn't. I'm taking him this week to get them put back into shape so he can again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM
My nephew started wearing them at 4 and is 5 now. He hates them LOL but is good about wearing them at school. He keeps his case in his backpack and takes them off after school and puts them right in his backpack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Just get the extra insurance or "protection plan". I always have. If they break, they get fixed or replaced for free. I love protection plans on glasses.....my own and my kids. It has come in handy on a number of occaisions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM

DS1 was 2 yo when he got his. He didn't care then about hte frames but as tehy get older they are more likely to wear them if they help pick them and LIKE the style/look.

It takes a few reminders to keep track of them. Pick ONE place to put htem every night when they go to bed, keep the cleaning cloth in the same place, etc.

Mandy575
by Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Our DS got glasses @3. He got contacts in 2 nd grade. He is now 12. Our oldest DD wears glasses and contacts. She is 14. She's worn her glasses since 2nd grade. Got her contacts in 4th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I think it was LensCrafters where we got my sons glasses.  They had a guarantee that they would replace broken glasses free, or for a small fee, I don't remember which, but we took great advantage of that deal.  Check to see if there are any deals like this in your area!

reche1978
by Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My 4 yr old dd just got glases a month ago.  Shes so cute with them she knows when to wear them and when not to wear them and that she needs to be responsible in taking caring them

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thank you.

Quoting MB13:

I think it was LensCrafters where we got my sons glasses.  They had a guarantee that they would replace broken glasses free, or for a small fee, I don't remember which, but we took great advantage of that deal.  Check to see if there are any deals like this in your area!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)