Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My four year old will be wearing glasses soon. Do you have a child who wore glasses as a toddler or a toddler now who wears glasses? Do you have any tips for me and my son? 

I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old -  and so have my two older sons, but I don't have experience with a toddler/preschooler wearing eyeglasses.

January 30th:

My son lost his glasses at school. He took them off in the classroom and his teachers could not find them. He goes to Pre K and has two teachers, they sent an email to the parents in the class asking any of the other children may have accidently took the glasses home. It's been weeks and his glasses have not been found! I now realize it was a bad idea to buy a toddler an expensive pair of Spiderman glasses without going through insurance (bought them online). 

I did get him a first pair with insurance from Vision Works and he seemed to like them. He was very excited, they were blue and he likes blue... but the next day he didn't like them and luckily I was able to return them. 

Is there anything I can do? Can I talk to the Principal? Or do I just have to accept that he lost them and nothing will be done about it?

He has a backup pair, but I have not been sending them to school with them. Should I, or should I continue just having him wear them at home?

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Thank you.

Quoting chinosruca:

Just get the extra insurance or "protection plan". I always have. If they break, they get fixed or replaced for free. I love protection plans on glasses.....my own and my kids. It has come in handy on a number of occaisions.

natesmom1228
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

My son started wearing glasses at 5. It was a struggle getting him to keep them on at first, but now that he is 11 he realizes that he needs them to see.

Just keep reminding him of where they are and that he needs them to see.

GotSomeKids
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

My kids didn't wear them when they were younger, but they have been wearing them for the past 1 1/2 years.  No biggy really.  They keep them in a case in their backpack since they wear them mostly for school.

What I would say is to make sure to get the replacement program/warrantly on them.  So worth the $20-$30 extra.  Just days before the warranty expired, my son accidentally stepped on his glasses. 

country280
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Both my boys have glasses...one was at age 4 and the other is a three year old. I suggest getting insurance along with the "strechy" glasses and put a sports strap on them to keep them on their face...my oldest took his off one day (before we got a strap) and lost them. If you loose them, they insurance will not replace them. Some places have a year gurantee on the glasses ( I have to have all the pieces for them to honor this) and after 2 months they broke and they replaced the frames for free.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM

3KidsOneMom
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:35 PM

This is my 2 yr old ( will be 3 in feb.) she just got glasses last week!!

Lorena
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Get the bendable frames and have a sports band so they don't loose them. Maybe even a pair where the are wraps around the ear.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Those are adorable. So how is he doing with them so far?

Quoting diaperstodating:

tiffs2009
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Dd started at age 5. A year later only broke 1 pair!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:40 AM
Hope he does better than my 2 year old. We have to take them back once a week or so to be adjusted or fixed. She has broken them twice to the point they couldnt just be fixed we needed to order new frames.

My oldest started wearing tgem at 3 years old, but she was a lot calmer than her sister is, so we didnt have many problems.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN