Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My four year old will be wearing glasses soon. Do you have a child who wore glasses as a toddler or a toddler now who wears glasses? Do you have any tips for me and my son? 

I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old -  and so have my two older sons, but I don't have experience with a toddler/preschooler wearing eyeglasses.

January 30th:

My son lost his glasses at school. He took them off in the classroom and his teachers could not find them. He goes to Pre K and has two teachers, they sent an email to the parents in the class asking any of the other children may have accidently took the glasses home. It's been weeks and his glasses have not been found! I now realize it was a bad idea to buy a toddler an expensive pair of Spiderman glasses without going through insurance (bought them online). 

I did get him a first pair with insurance from Vision Works and he seemed to like them. He was very excited, they were blue and he likes blue... but the next day he didn't like them and luckily I was able to return them. 

Is there anything I can do? Can I talk to the Principal? Or do I just have to accept that he lost them and nothing will be done about it?

He has a backup pair, but I have not been sending them to school with them. Should I, or should I continue just having him wear them at home?

by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

My oldest got glasses at age 3 and still wears them at 15. DD is 9 and got htem for reading/school only last year.

I would definitely ask the teacher to talk to the other parents or send out an email asking about them but I wouldn't make a huge fuss about it.  Kid's lose things and though it SUCK, it's part of life.

We pay extra for the loss/breakage coverage. It's well worth it to  know our insurance will replace them if lost.

mommatothree01
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

awww...that stinks!  I would consider them lost personally.  My youngest got glasses at 4 in pre-k.  He went through 4 pairs that year.  One pair was actually thrown away by a classmate during rest time, it wasn't noticed until the garbage had actually gone out (how that happened is still not clear to me).  Our insurance sucks and doesn't cover glasses at all, so I always bought really inexpensive frames at walmart.  The frames were $9 and were always in stock, so we could just pop the lenses out and put them straight into new frames when necessary.  One parent actually had to cover the cost of his frames, her kid pulled Jake's glasses off and snapped them in half while standing in line one day.  Lucky for her I'm cheap!!

He's 6 now and wears contacts, best thing EVER.  He has VERY poor vision in one eye and astigmatism.  His glasses were very chunky and kept sliding down his face so he wasn't using them properly.  He still has a back up pair, but those are usually for home.

As for sending his glasses in, I guess it depends on how bad his vision is.  For my youngest, he can't be without glasses or contacts, he simply can't see.  If he's doing a lot of up close work, he may get headaches from not wearing them.  I'd invest in cheap glasses to wear at school and nicer ones for home.  I hope the glasses turn up somewhere!

sammyreymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yes, my dd has worn glasses since she was 4 yrs old because of migraine headaches.  If you can afford it, have him keep a pair of glasses in his desk at school and one at home.  We worked a lot with the teachers of her preschool to make sure that they were always in her mailbin at the end of the day.

The last two years she has decided not to take them off at all except for bed, so we haven't had to worry.  The only worry now is where did she leave them when she went to bed. 

Good luck!

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM

My DS(5) has been wearing them since he was 2 years old.  He has the ones that loop behind his ears.  But this is the last time we get them.  The glass part of them is getting to smal for his face.  He has had two prescriptions, so we got glasses when he was 2 and about 4(they were the same style).  He has never had an issue with wearing them.  

I would have him wear them to school as that is probably when he needs them the most.  Get one of the sport straps that go around the head so he is less likely to take them off at school.  We got one when son first got the glasses so he would get used to how they felt on and he had to work at it to get them off.

THEN:

NOW:

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We got the cable ones for DS at 2.  He just turned 5 and he still has the cable kind.  I don't think that will be for to much longer though.

He has a lazy eye too.  With the glasses he is fine, when he doesn't have them on he still crosses but nearly as bad.  No surgery yet and unless it changes a lot, not in the future either.

Quoting SahmTam:

My youngest started wearing glasses about 2 months after he turned 3. I got him a kind that had "cable ends" that wrap slightly around the ear to keep them on better. I was afraid he'd be a little rowdy and they'd fall off and break. lol He never tried taking them off and did well- I was surprised!

He also had strabismus (eye crossing) that never corrected with patching, so he ended up having surgery to pull the muscles into alignment. After that he no longer needed glasses. Little boys look so cute in glasses- I almost miss them. ;-)

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Bump for Chrys04

CKADsmom4
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Quoting janitablue:

My son is eight years old and he wear glasses. I prefer the plastic because it can survive anything. Now he needs need pair of glasses because the lens pop out.

When the lens pops out, it's usually a super easy fix. Whenever it happened to me,, it was because the screw was loose.
nymom13
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM
My daughter got her first pair at 5. She's 8 now.
nymom13
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Quoting nova.mommy:

My DS(5) has been wearing them since he was 2 years old.  He has the ones that loop behind his ears.  But this is the last time we get them.  The glass part of them is getting to smal for his face.  He has had two prescriptions, so we got glasses when he was 2 and about 4(they were the same style).  He has never had an issue with wearing them.  

I would have him wear them to school as that is probably when he needs them the most.  Get one of the sport straps that go around the head so he is less likely to take them off at school.  We got one when son first got the glasses so he would get used to how they felt on and he had to work at it to get them off.

THEN:

NOW:

Your children are adorable!
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thank You!

Quoting nymom13:

Quoting nova.mommy:

THEN:

NOW:

Your children are adorable!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN