Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Veteran's Day (silly but serious question)

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

My kindergartener received a note in her folder today about a Veteran's Day celebration. The way it's worded, the celebration is only for those who served in the most recent wars we have had (Iraq/Afganistan). It doesn't specify, but the title of the program is "Welcome Home".

It says Veterans in your family are invited to attend the celebration, there will be an honor walk and reception after the program, yadda yadda.

Does this mean that it's strictly for recent veterans or can my DD's grandfathers come as well?

by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I would ask but I certainly hope they are extending the invitation to ALL veteran's. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I'd ask the school.  In my mind, the grandfathers would also be invited, but I don't know what the school has in mind.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call the school to double check.  Our school's Veteran's Day program includes veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Operation Desert Storm, and the most current Iraq/Afganistan war.

L.sands
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Bring him!!
He deserves recognition too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
That would be crazy if not!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure it's all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I would double-check w/ the school. To me, it would be weird if other veterans were not included.

I love our elem and middle school Veterans Day programs- we have recent veterans all the way back to WWII vets in attendance. I always end up a teary mess, too.

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Coming from someone who has put on 4 of the last 5 Veteran's Day events at my kids school, when we say veteran's in your family, we mean everyone.  Our family has 2 veteran's who are passed away, one retired vet, 1 disabled vet and 2 active duty vets.  We sends pics of all of them (for the school event), but when we do special recognition for our deployed soldiers we only show currently deployed or recently returned.  But our collage of veteran's wall has EVERY veteran.

So, when we do our events, we honor all.   However, if your school is doing a "Welcome Home" for their celebration it might mean active duty veterans.  Hard to say when you "yadda, yadda' it.   Sometimes there is a lot in the "yadda, yadda".

To take sure, I would just call the school.  It really depends on how they do it. 

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh thank the Mighty Lord, I'm not the only one.  At the kids previous school, they asked my husband and I (I am a disabled vet) to talk with the 1-3rd graders.  It was so much fun, but when they did the salute to soldiers, I had to hold back all the tears.  Man alive, do I miss being a soldier.

I later told the hubby, this is what all my Army training was for.  Not to fight wars, not to train soldiers, not to push paperwork, but to keep a straight face during touchy feely moments.

:)

Quoting wakymom:

I would double-check w/ the school. To me, it would be weird if other veterans were not included.

I love our elem and middle school Veterans Day programs- we have recent veterans all the way back to WWII vets in attendance. I always end up a teary mess, too.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
I would say all veterans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)