Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

core standards but i have to take a step back

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 20 Replies
As of october first my childrens school was introduced to the core standards. Due to the high standards and my childrens learning disabilitys I stepped it up and started home schooling outside of school time. Well I think it back fired. I got a call from my seven year olds special ed teacher. She states that his scores have dropped drastically and he is no longer giving it his all and there very worried about him. They want me to slow down on the learning at home, maybe its due to the no down time from everything. I personally feel I need to continue because of him being behind. But there has to be another apprach I can do. I have thought about games. I'm just so lost and don't know what to don
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Maybe talk with the teachers to see what you can do to re-enforce what he has learned that week. What you are teaching him and what they are teaching him may be in conflict. Personally, I would pull out the board games and cards. Make a family game day and go from there. The board games teach reading. math and critical thinking skills. Games such as connect four, trouble, sorry, jinga, hi ho cherrio. My Grandmother use to make up games for us with cards, memory, snatch-the-bundle, pity-pat (matching the cards but she put in variations), war, fish. Personally, learning outside of school should be fun. Oh, when my children when grocery shopping with me, each had a job, getter, pusher, and reader. At checkout, we would guesstimate the total. Try thinking outside the box. GL

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I just would make sure that you/they are reading EVERY day.  I also agree with the board games and cards.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM
My Cam won't progress unless she gets plenty of down time. I leave the academics and writing to the teachers, and focus on life skills at home. (she has severe ASD, nonverbal) Stress causes her to regress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Quoting mjande4:

I just would make sure that you/they are reading EVERY day.  I also agree with the board games and cards.

I agree with this. A year after I made my son read every day, his state test scores in reading went from the 34th percentile to the 74th percentile. I saw a difference in his comprehension of school work. I'll add that my son doesn't have a learning disability, but still found success when I started doing exactly what mjande4 suggested to you.

Malley
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM
I understand having to work at home b/c common core Kindergarten is challenging. I try to make as much of it as I can like a game or make up a song or something instead of alot of sit down work.He's supposed to be working on beginning and ending sounds and I just include it in conversation, like I told him we were going to the zoo and asked what letter zoo starts with and could he name another word with z.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherguatmom
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM
I agree with sticking to plenty of reading at home and not over doing the other things. Keep in mind that this is the first year of the new standards and there are bound to be bumps in the road. Also, discuss with the teacher what you can do on the long breaks.
clairewait
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM

As a high school English teacher, I can agree and fully support the posts saying don't worry about anything but reading.

Seriously.

Don't stress. I know you want him to succeed, but if he has an IEP, likely his end of grade tests do not ultimately affect very much (in NC, special ed students' scores do not count and progression is based on something more like portfolio assessement).

But reading, to him, with him, around him... and letting him be interested in reading, will actually cover a world of understanding when he gets to high school. And he'll be in the minority, if he's good at it or likes it. Completely competent and otherwise intelligent HS kids simply do not read much anymore, and education suffers as a result.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

How much homework does he get from school?  I wouldnt add much on top of that and ask the teachers how you can support them at home so he retains what he learns during the day.

charnrich26
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Every day he has two books to read one for class the other for his special ed teacher. He also gets three spelling sheets on Monday to have finished by Friday. He has spelling test on fridays so we were writing them daily. On top of that they have math goals and snap word goals to work on so we felt over welmed at home.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

The National PTA has some resources on their website on common core standards broken down by grade level.  Click here for the info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)