Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How do you feel about political discussions at this age?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM
  • 24 Replies

I sent my child to school this morning and when i picked her up she was rambling about republicans being for rich people and dems for poor people, what's more important- the economy or religion and was in favor of my opposition candidate for reasons that didn't make sense. She was also sympathetic for "Mexicans that died trying to get here illegally" ????? It made me wonder about who was telling her this and what they were trying to do. She also said that her teacher got mad at another student that said he didn't feel bad for the people that died breaking the law trying to cross the border. Does all this sound weird? Should teachers be able to push their issues on our kids at this age? my dd is 9. I also witnessed several kids screaming at each other about the candidates from opposite sides of the street.

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM
No, teachers should not be teaching ttheir personal view.

Yes, teachers should teach about politics and voting and what the current issues that are facing our country.

They should present arguements for both sides and ltt the kids make up their own minds. I would have a talk with theteacher and the principal. This is a major reason why my kids oont go to a traditional public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I thinking teaching about government procedures and how things are run are fine.  Everyone needs to be able to teach impartially about this subject.   DD is 6 so they do not talk about politics.

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Teachers are NOT NOT NOT supposed to be discussing their own personal views in class.  Allowing and encouraging discussion, sure.  Monitoring it, using a teachable moment etc.  Of course but flat out like that.  No in fact in public schools you can be fired for it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Like the others have siad, teachers are supposed to keep their own personal views out of the lessons.  We have been teaching our boys about politics and elections since they were 3 or 4 years old, so I do not think that elementary aged children are too young to learn about the election process.

Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the teacher - kids talk at recess, lunch etc...  There are plenty of time for converstaions not 'overseen" by teachers.

gravercem
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM

This is the first year that all four of my children talked about the election, all had learned about it in some way at school.  There teachers did not nor should they state their views.  I really enjoyed being able to have discussions with them about the elections. 

Velany
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM

both of my kids held elections today...they both voted Romney but i cannot say whether if anyone influenced or not.

auroragold
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Teachers should teach facts - -and if that means the platform of a political party, I have no problem with it; it all depends on how it is presented.  

I'm guessing most of the "opinion" she learned came via parents of other children and the overwhelming amount of political advertising that we have all been subjected to!

I actually think it's important for the 9-10 year olds to start understanding the issues --  not just the process -- so that they will be engaged as they become older

janitablue
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Well said. Everyone is initial to their own opinion, but our children minds are growing it is so important that they know the facts on how the government works  for their future. The facts will help them shape their minds on what political party they want to represent or is right for them.

Quoting auroragold:

Teachers should teach facts - -and if that means the platform of a political party, I have no problem with it; it all depends on how it is presented.  

I'm guessing most of the "opinion" she learned came via parents of other children and the overwhelming amount of political advertising that we have all been subjected to!

I actually think it's important for the 9-10 year olds to start understanding the issues --  not just the process -- so that they will be engaged as they become older

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:04 AM

No, teachers should not be pushing their political views on kids.  In my class, we read the Scholastic News which talked about the candidates.  Several of my students (3rd and 4th grade) said their parents hated one of the other and asked who I and my classroom staff were voting for.  I told them that voting is private.  There's a kid in the class next to me who must be beside himself this morning.  He's been spouting for weeks about how everyone needs to vote for Romney.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)