Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I refuse to pay $2 everyday for my son's school lunches and I have been packing him lunch but he has informed me that he is tired of pb&j sandwiches and the lunchables I want to make his lunches more exciting for him does anyone have any idea's about different things I could make him for lunch that wont go bad since he does not have a insulated   and they dont put there lunches in a fridge?

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

DD is a hot foods girl so we pack mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, soup in a FUNtainer by thermos or a hot foods container.  She also gets pretzels, apple, grape, melons etc.   She has burnt out on melon for time being so we stopped packing that.  Why not get him involved in a grocery trip so you can get ideas from him what he would like.   Most foods will be fine just put in their lunch box.  I never had an ice pack or anything in my plastic ones growing up.  You can freeze his juice box if you feel more comfortable having an ice pack in there.

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
If the lunchables aren't going bad, then lunch meat sandwiches are okay too. I know some ppl freeze drink pouches or gogurt to keep the lunches cold, and that's deforested by lunch time.
Here's an idea: take a tortilla, spread peanut butter on it, spread a little honey on that, sprinkle soe raisins, and wrap the whole thing around a banana.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamawolf1103
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM

My daughter takes macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, tater tot casserole.. She uses a thermos. It works best if you boil water and put it in the thermos with the lid on for 5-10 minutes, the thermos takes the heat from the water not the food. dump the water, put in the warm food and done. She says it is still warm 4 hours later.

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

My kids love leftovers and turkey & cheese wraps instead of traditional sandwiches. 

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I'm not sure my dd likes a sandwich or meat cheese and crackers with fruits and veggies. But as far as it getting hot or going bad. I have fresh and fit containers and each one has an ice pack that goes in the lid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Pasta salad, soup in thermos, other types of sandwiches (tuna, ham, turkey).

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My son loves wraps, a juice pouch and a snack. He thinks the wraps are cool.

Whitney220
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thank you Everyone you all have had some wonderful idea's this morning I made a tuna roll and cut off a peice to let him try and he said wow mommy thats great!

kelliewhitney
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are willing to spend the time (I'm not) there are some really cool lunch ideas out there. Just do a Google search for Bento Boxes. BTW, a peanut butter sandwich is absolutely healthy if you are not allergic. That's what I eat every day at work. Cheap, easy, and protien-rich.

My youngest takes lunch to school (preschool) and she helps me make her sandwiches and slice her fruit. The older two get free lunch at school.

My mom used to make me PB&Bananna wraps. You roll out the bread to make it flat, spread it with peanut butter and add some sliced banannas. Roll it up and put it in the freezer. Yunny, In fact, I'm going to make one now to take to work for dinner.

Whitney220
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I love that idea I thought abuot making him one of my child hood favs but I was an odd child I used to eat PB and bannana and pickle sandwiches all the time but my kids are not as up to newt hings like that as I was as a kid but i will try your idea sounds like something he my eat

Quoting kelliewhitney:

If you are willing to spend the time (I'm not) there are some really cool lunch ideas out there. Just do a Google search for Bento Boxes. BTW, a peanut butter sandwich is absolutely healthy if you are not allergic. That's what I eat every day at work. Cheap, easy, and protien-rich.

My youngest takes lunch to school (preschool) and she helps me make her sandwiches and slice her fruit. The older two get free lunch at school.

My mom used to make me PB&Bananna wraps. You roll out the bread to make it flat, spread it with peanut butter and add some sliced banannas. Roll it up and put it in the freezer. Yunny, In fact, I'm going to make one now to take to work for dinner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN