Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I am at my wits end! My kindergartners is getting in trouble a lot at school. I have tried taking privileges away, taking toys away, making him do extra chores, time away...I do not know what to do.

He started kindergarten in August and already has had 3 behavior notes sent home and a meeting with the principal.

He wasn't this bad at preschool where he went for over 3 years.

Similar Experiences? Suggestions? Help?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM
Replies (11-15):
roseandlove
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting signingmama2915:

What have you changed? What kind if help are you getting?

Quoting roseandlove:

my child was the same way. September we were told that he threw chairs across the room twice and then in october he hit child and then the end of october he used to much soap while in the bathroom and he acted up in the bathroom.  

So far this month we havent gotten anything but i have changed my ways (in my own ways) and i think it is showing plus he is changing because we haven't gotten any notes or anything.   but now we have help coming and they work with the whole family they will be here until the end of the school year.  

the school told us to get a behvior therpist or moblie therpist and we went on our own and got in home family services and they are here to help us until the end of the school year.  plus i used to witch ( starts with a b) and scream all day long.  plus my temper was out of control.  so after the incendit with the chiar the second time i knew somehting had to give. so i started to calm myself down and take my temper down. 

I don't scream all day and plus i dont lose my temper or lose control.  I did it all without any medicine. thats how i like to think it helped my son.

kelliewhitney
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM

If there is nothing going on at home that would cause the outbursts, there may be other problems. Or, he may just not be ready for the modern, structured kindy classroom. Our school district is changing the enrollment age cut-off (rolling it back one month a year) until 2 years from now, when it will be September 1.

For my family, this sucks, as my youngest will be plenty ready at that time, but she will be 16 days too young. She already sits still in class at her preschool and is VERY well-behaved and bright. Now, we have to pay for an extra year of preschool (no, we can't homeschool anymore...DH is disabled and I need to work so we can eat) for a child who will be absolutely ready in 2 years.

However, I used to teach kindergarten, and TONS of kids were not ready when their parents thought they were. I think schools should use the Gessell (sp?) readiness test to screen kids for kindergarten entry.

Tara922c
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Does his school send home a daily folder with behaivoral marks? My dd is in kindergarten and she gets a smilie face for a good day, check for an okay day (needed reminders), and a number when she needs several reminders.

Anyway, you may want to try positive reinforcement. I would create a sticker chart and every time he comes home with good marks, he gets a sticker. If he can get so many stickers in a row, he gets a special treat. I know some people will not agree, but if he has something to work for, he may try harder at school to be on his best behavior. Some kids have to really work hard not to get into trouble at school, for others, good behavior comes easy.

mama_pink_tink
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Does he have any new friends? any friends that have disappeared? 

AimeeReneV
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM
My son has been terrible :( and he was in daycare and preschool so it was shocking that he was the behavior problem child! He refused to do work, punched a kid in the face, throwing tantrums, calling kids names,, bursting into tears for no known reason even wandered away from the class on their way to music and started interrupting other classes.
It has taken me a little over a month, but he is finally doing good! I have sticker chart, because he loves stickers. I have 3 sections, 1 to 5 with a star on 5, 1 to 10 with a star on 10 and 1 to 15 with the star on 15. Every good day, no tantrums and doing work following directions...but crying isnt punished, he puts a sticker on a square. When he gets to the star I take him to Dollar Tree and let him pick 2 toys, its only $2. I also take him to school every day, we get his breakfast there and sit in his classroom and eat together and then I stay in the class for 30 mins. It is difficult and time consuming and DD is 7 1/2 months and has to come with sometimes. But last week I started cutting it down to 20mins and he's still doing good.

Maybe something similar could help you. Youll figure it out. It take a lot of patients and a very caring and supportive school staff. But you'll find what works for you guys :) GOOD LUCK
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)