Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

??QOTD??11/13/12

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM
  • 18 Replies

It's National Novel Writer's Month.

Have you ever had an idea for a novel/short story/children's book? If so, what was it?

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I've never had an idea, but I do wish I could write.

Amanda52007
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM
I would like to see a book, geared towards 5-8 yr olds explaining about half siblings and blending families.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I have not. I know that DH has for a children's book, although I am drawing a blank. He would do really well actually. He is a wonderful artist (that was his college major) so he could write and do the illustrations :)

jaytee
by Jen on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Nope, never had an idea for a children's book.

jen113000
by Jenna on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

No I've never had an idea for a novel or anything.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I do have an idea, but I don't want to share it here in case I ever get around to writing the series. ;-) So far I just have the character name, what she looks like, and a general idea for the story lines (would be a series).

Jacqalyn
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM
No sadly I'm not that creative when it comes to story telling.
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I do have an idea. Just don't have a computer anymore. When I get a new one, I plan on writing it. Can't tell the story line. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I'm not very creative so no ideas here.

Tracys2
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I'm 89 Word pages into one story, and about 20 into another, and I have an outline for a 3rd somewhere but I lost it. The story I have written, I think it's too personal to share. My stories tend to involve older people (ages 30+) with kids, sometimes adventures (sci-fi situations), sometimes just interacting. The reason I do that is because so many books focus on children and young people, as if life ends at 25, but there is so much to life beyond that.

Here are some themes I like to incorporate:

• Loss of identity and rediscovery. A truly dangerous situation, and one so many parents I know get into. When you lose who you are, who will you be after? It's like a second adolescence, but you are constricted by your role in society, not nearly like the freedom of choice you have in college
  • Reconciliation (or not) between married people who have drifted apart
  • Communities and belonging- having them or not. I used to want to write about online communities, and I might some day again, but now I'm working on RL communities and how to find them when you're older and most people aleady know each other and they are so closed against new people. Yet all people need a sense of community
  • Finding meaning in a modern world, or escaping the modern world in search of it (sci-fi aspects here)
  • The ways we show love to our children these days
  • How we live, and the ways we rationalise our lives against our values, how we see this disconnect is different for everyone
  • The stupid things we do, even though we know they're stupid before and after we do them
  • Nature, and how its incorporation into our lives is so healthy and wonderful, yet we hide from it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)