Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

*sigh* I caught him...(PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM
  • 5 Replies

in a lie.  My 6 year old that is.  TWO lies to be exact.  Last night he repeatedly lied about having homework until I asked him to show me his folder - at which point he realized he'd be busted and changed his tune to "I'm just kidding!".  Mmhmm.  Right.

This morning, I was in my room (still dark - not up yet) and he went into his bathroom (I have a straight shot view of the bathroom), turned on the light and left the door open.  I could plainly see him standing to pee.  No big deal EXCEPT that he's been missing the toilet a LOT lately, and DH told him he better start sitting because we're sick of cleaning up pee (yes, I do have him clean up the pee also - doesn't help).  So, I casually call out "did you sit down to pee?"  He answered "yes".  I asked again.  Same answer.  Another lie.  :(

So, I brought him in for a little chat, explained that I knew he was lying - and that he lied last night - and asked why.  He admitted that he didn't want to get in trouble this morning or do his homework last night.  I explained (again - this is not something new to any of my kids) that if you LIE you get in far worse trouble than if you had just fessed up to what you did wrong.

So...this morning and the rest of the day after school is nothing but business.  Get ready for school...then sit quietly doing nothing.  Come home from school, do homework, sit.  Eat dinner.  Sit. No TV, no games, no toys, no playing with his brothers or the dog.

He will have to write a "sorry I lied" note - maybe a short note on why lying is wrong (he's 6 - so not THAT great of a writer, lol).  DH is going to pick up a book on lying from the library on his way home, so he can read that as well. 

This morning he started stomping around about it, and I added tomorrow morning to the punishment.  Asked him if he'd like to add tomorrow afternoon/evening I'm happy to - just keep up the attitude and it's a done deal.

He's quietly sitting now.

Ugh.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Amanda52007
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM
I feel like you have my daughters twin brother...if she had one. Lol

My 6 yr old daughter has been caught a few times in lies. Mainly because they REALLY don't believe I can hear then bicker and argue down the hall and in their room. So when I confront them on what they've said, she lies about it.

I do the exact same punishments as you. It KILLLLLLS my daughters to be on restriction and see the other doing really fun things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Way to go.
They have to be taught that telling a lie is not a good thing...it sounds like you're doing just that.
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.

I overheard him telling his older brother (9) about it as they were getting dressed.  He was looking for sympathy, and my 9 year old said, "telling the truth is ALWAYS the best choice - so just stop lying".

LOL - love it...my 9 year old's got my back

laughing

Quoting Jacqalyn:

Way to go.
They have to be taught that telling a lie is not a good thing...it sounds like you're doing just that.

smushy79
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I have caught mine a few times. I am pretty good at busting him. I want him to think that mommy knows all and sees all, lol.

Jacqalyn
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Quoting the3Rs:

My 11 year old dd is the same way.
Her friend and my oldest dd's ( 13 ) friend are sisters, so they usually end up staying the night at their friends house on the same night. One night the older girls were on the computer talking to some boy they didn't know on video chat or whatever it's called.
Both my girls know that they are not suppose to do that. We have preached to them over and over about the dangers of it. Anyways on their way home the oldest told my youngest DD not to say anything to us about it. She did anyways cause she said she knew what her sister had done was wrong and with her knowing made her just as guilty. I was so proud of her. When I questioned my oldest about it, she came right out and told me the truth even though she was ticked at her sister for telling. She did get grounded but we did tell her that we appreciated her telling the truth and not try to blame her action on someone else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)