Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My parents never told me Santa existed. My boys knew the truth about Santa from the beginning as well. For those of you with children who do believe in Santa, I am curious about your Christmas and gave a few questions:

How do you know what to get your child? Do you ask him/her what they want? Do you read the letter they wrote to Santa before you mail it? Or do you over hear them sitting on Santa's lap?

If your child does not get everything on his/her Christmas list what do you tell him/her?

Update: If your child is not Caucasian, did your child question that Santa is Caucasian and not your race?
and lastly
How do you explain the mall Santa's? Do you call them his "helpers"?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
steelcage
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I ask them what they want, and they tell me. Then we go and see Santa. I also get them things they don't ask for that they'll like. We are too young to start writing letters to Santa right now, but when I was little my mom had a special Santa mailbox that she'd put on the fireplace, so the "elves" can come get the letters and take them to Santa. I still have all the letters I've written.

They usually get everything on their Christmas list, since they're still young and don't ask for much. This year my oldest is only asking for a guinea pig and a barbie. My youngest just wants a barbie. Simple.

I usually call them helpers, yes, but this year our town is having a celebration on December 1, and Santa will be there. I told them that Santa tries to visit every town before Christmas to see the boys and girls, and it will save us a ton of money to go to the mall and get pictures taken there (you can't see him unless you get and buy pictures. Lame.).

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

We talk and ask them what they want and what they are going to ask Santa.  We also tell them Santa needs their top 3 list.  If he gets to many request he will pick and it might not be their true deisre.  We have explained that Santa has common sense and may not get them something if he knows they can't use it or won't play with..example my 4 year wants roller skates she isn't getting them.  We have no safe place for her to skate.  Also we explain to them they have lots of family to give them presents and some children do not have that.  We also pack shoe boxes for opreration christmas child to help children with the same explaination.  My DS tells us he knows the mall Santas are not real because santa is shy because he comes to your house when you are asleep.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I have them circle things in the store catalogs- I give them a price limit b/c both family and Santa have a budget (He has all those elves and reindeer to feed, after all, and food isn't cheap!). They do not write letters to Santa- I listen in when they tell him at the mall. They do know that the Santa at the mall isn't the real one- the real one is so busy at this time of yr, he has helpers dress up like him and go to all the malls/breakfasts/etc, then they report back to him. We only get them one thing that they ask Santa for- he has a lot of requests and the elves don't have enough time to make/get everything every child asks for. We don't have the race issue.

Yeah, that creative writing emphasis in my English major has come in handy : )

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Love this!

Quoting mom2maryjoseph:

We talk and ask them what they want and what they are going to ask Santa.  We also tell them Santa needs their top 3 list.  If he gets to many request he will pick and it might not be their true deisre.  We have explained that Santa has common sense and may not get them something if he knows they can't use it or won't play with..example my 4 year wants roller skates she isn't getting them.  We have no safe place for her to skate.  Also we explain to them they have lots of family to give them presents and some children do not have that.  We also pack shoe boxes for opreration christmas child to help children with the same explaination.  My DS tells us he knows the mall Santas are not real because santa is shy because he comes to your house when you are asleep.

aj23
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM

We've never been really big into Santa. I wanted to be but my sons dads family doesn't even put up a tree at Christmas and they never wanted to do anything other than hand out gifts. He spent the first 2 Christmas where he was old enough to do Santa with them it kind of ruined it.
Last year I tried and my son was all into it until I started to get a lot of packages delivered from UPS and my son kept asking what they were and I told him they were Christmas gifts and he started thinking the UPS man was the guy who delivered Christmas presents instead of Santa lol.
He still likes seeing Santa and all that stuff so we go see him and he tells him his wish list (which has been the same thing for 3 years now) but he really doesn't 'get it' about who Santa is.
As far as the various Santa's that are around before Christmas, he just thinks Santa is in a lot of places. We've never told him that he only comes out one night a year, only that he delivers packages once a year.
My son is biracial and the only question he's had about Santa's color had to do with why his dads mom had a black Santa but most of the others that he's seen have been white. His dad told him it was because  Santa turns brown in the summer because he gets a tan from his vacation and white in the winter so he can blend in with the snow. He seemed pretty content with that answer so I didn't argue with it. If/when the time comes I'll likely just tell him that there is more than one Santa.

PerfectVirgo
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM
My kids believe in Santa, but my oldest figured it out this year. Lol. We just talk about what they hope to get this year, and then I buy it.
MommaTasha1003
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

we ask what dd wants from santa/from us... so we know... and i dont acually mail our santa letters :P I keep them in our memory box, so later she can look back at what she wanted.

she doesnt expect everything. Santa brings 1 big gift, thats it.. the list is just suggestions, not a demand..

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM

My son doesn't believe in Santa anymore, but I never had to ask him what he wanted. I never had him write a list because he is my child and I always knew what he liked and wanted. My son has always been very grateful of what he got. I always told him that Santa always knows what kids like with or without a letter. He would usually write his letter at the Macy's mailbox, but it wasn't something I ever made him do. I am not a fan of lists because I feel it's begging for gifts and that is not acceptable to me. I buy him what I think (know) he would love and never had a problem doing it that way. I never did gifts from me, they were all from Santa. I have honestly never heard of having Santa and parent (mom, since I was single then) gifts.

SavdNSanctified
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I ask the kids what they want Santa to bring them. We also sit and go through the big Christmas edition Toys R Us and Walmart ads and they mark all the stuff they want. This year will be the first that we do letters to Santa because it's the first year any of the kids can write it themselves! I will be helping them write their letters and reading over them when they're done. But I already know what everyone's getting for Christmas anyway =)
hplesha
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I wish Santa was real, i have a few things i want lol.

We call the mall Santas, Santa and say he visits every mall for every kid. His reindeer are on the roof of the mall. As for how we know what he wants, we ask him. We usually get the big item and that's from Santa. We have him write his wish list to Santa and leave it out with his milk and cookies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN