Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My parents never told me Santa existed. My boys knew the truth about Santa from the beginning as well. For those of you with children who do believe in Santa, I am curious about your Christmas and gave a few questions:

How do you know what to get your child? Do you ask him/her what they want? Do you read the letter they wrote to Santa before you mail it? Or do you over hear them sitting on Santa's lap?

If your child does not get everything on his/her Christmas list what do you tell him/her?

Update: If your child is not Caucasian, did your child question that Santa is Caucasian and not your race?
and lastly
How do you explain the mall Santa's? Do you call them his "helpers"?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

This is how my family was growing up. Santa was never talked about and it was known he was make believe. We were taught about the birth of Jesus and giving and we did a lot of things at the church during Christmas time. We make sure the kids know that this is the entire reason for Christmas also. I've also told my older (8) daughter about the real Saint Nicholas. 

Quoting diaperstodating:

Thank you everyone for your answers. Very interesting. I guess all the stuff in movies is not true, lol... sitting on Santa's lap, making a list and mailing it to the North Pole. I guess families don't do that stuff anymore, if they even did.

My grandfather was a minister before he retired. When my parents were kids Christmas was all about the birth of Jesus, and when my husband and I were children, the same thing. We continue the tradition with our children.

LOVE_mygirls58
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM

they only get ONE present from santa and it is something that is on their list.

I watch them make the list

dallascowboys82
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Santa is big in our house. Growing up Santa was huge. We made cookies for Santa and left it with milk.
So I continue the tradition with my kids. My dd is nine and she writes her letter and helps her six year old brother write his. After that I "send" the letters. Then we have hot coca and cookies while watching a Christmas movie.
I love it and wouldn't have any other way.
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do Santa here...for us, it is about family, and Christ. Period. 

I don't have to ask my girls what they want for Christmas. I know them so well, that I can walk into a store and just pick something up and know they will love it.  I pay attention to what they say when we are out and about and their interests.. 

For instance, my oldest is 7 and *really* into science. 

My IL's got her a telescope. We are getting her a microscope, an ant farm, a butterfly garden and a few other small items as well as her stocking ( which has 2 pair of earrings, 3 movies and a DS game). My mom is getting her a new bike.

My youngest is into Doc McStuffins, so my mom is getting her some Doc McStuffins toys. My IL's got her a Leappad 2. We will get her some Scooby Doo toys, and some games for her Leappad. She is also getting a couple of movies in her stocking, 2 pair of earrings and anything else I find that is small that she would like. 

We don't write letters or sit on Santa's lap since we don't give them gifts from Santa. They know everything is from us. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

auroragold
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

And Jesus wasn't born in December so .... 

Quoting diaperstodating:

We don't do Santa. We celebrate the birth of Jesus. (Yes I know you can do both, I have friends at church who do but we don't). I was just curious. Thank you for answering my questions.

Quoting auroragold:

The santas in the mall are helpers

No one has ever really SEEN santa (if they did, they don't get presents) so no one knows what he looks like anyway.

Or you could share the story of the ORIGINAL REAL St. Nicholas - who was the Bishop of Myra from the area around Turkey and thus, a browner-skinned man than what is currently portrayed  - whose gifts of charity became the basis for Santa.

I know what to get my child from conversations throughout the course of the year; paying attention to what she says she likes/doesn't like.

We've never done a LIST to Santa (in our house ASKING for specific presents is sort of tacky)

She is thrilled with surprises of any sort so Christmas Day is magical regardless of what is and is not beneath the tree. 

Tara922c
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I ask dd what she wants from Santa. We go see Santa at the mall, dd hasn't asked, but if she did I would tell her that he is Santa's helper. If my dd has an unrealistic list I tell her that it is unrealistic. She told me that she wanted Santa to bring her a puppy, and I told her that Santa has to get permission from parents to make sure the gift is appropriate, and we would say no to a dog. DD also asked me why some kids get "a lot" from Santa and others don't get that much. I told her that when kids ask for something that is expensive, then parents send money to Santa to help him out. DD understands that just because you ask for it, doesn't mean you are going to get it either. She has a list worth about 2K work of stuff from American Girl, and she is not getting all of it. She is getting a doll and an outfit.

-Kney-
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM
I just shop like normal and do the bigger gifts from Santa.. my son is 6 n still believes he knows all the santas he sees around here are just helpers since Santa is busy
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

My dd writes her list to Santa and I photocopy it before sending it. I love it, that way I have her handwriting every year, it's cute.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Where do you save the letters? In her Baby Book?

Quoting goddess99:

My dd writes her list to Santa and I photocopy it before sending it. I love it, that way I have her handwriting every year, it's cute.

ninagoesnuts
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM

When my husband and I first got together, he was very adamant that we should do Santa. I never believed in Santa growing up so I was ambivalent. After a few Christmases I brought up the fact that the kids were becoming very materialistic and worrying only about what Santa would bring them. We decided to put Santa in the background by having him fill their stockings and then for gifts... everybody in the house gets to pick one gift for everyone else. This way we focus on giving rather than getting. It has worked somewhat. Although this year one little giver couldn't keep her lips sealed about what she picked out for everyone. *sigh*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)