Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms of kindergarteners.....

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 65 Replies
If you drop you kids off at school do you walk them into their class or just drop them off in front? My son is my oldest and he is in kindergarten and I walk him into class everyday but I know he would be ok if I dropped him off in front. I see so many other parents but idk I feel like I should walk him in. But then I think it's just me holding on to him needing me for that when he doesn't really. Anyway I wanted to see what other moms on here did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM

My dd was in K last year. The kids lined up outside and waited for their teacher, then they would walk into school as a class. I would stand outside and chat with the other moms until the teacher came though.

If that wasnt the case I would walk her to the door but let her go in alone. She likes her independence.

poshkat
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM
He takes the bus but when we move we will have to walk him and sign him in.
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I dropped him off in the car rider line/door and they all hang out in cafeteria/pdac until its time to line up infrint of teacher sign and walk to door, after the first 2 weeks parents aren't allowed to walk kids to class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Our school discourages parents walking their kids to class.  It clutters up the hallways because a LOT of parents want to do it.  There's a parent pick up/drop off line.  For the Kindergartners, at the beginning of the year, parents pin a paper to their shirt letting others know who their teachers are.  If they get lost, other teachers, staff or even older kids pitch in to walk them to class.  

In our school, they also have open house before school begins for the year.  The kids meet their teacher, and with mine I always walk the route with them from where their being dropped off.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I walk my son to class because he wants me to.  Most of the other parents just drop their K students off.

Amanda52007
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I walk my kids to their class for the first day every year, but that's it. They ride the bus after that.

Our teacher encourage independence and would rather the parents didn't walk them all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM
We aren't allowed to walk them in.
It's drop off or bus
My 5 year old rides and lives riding the bus to and from school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicaaris
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM
There is no policy at ds's school. I don't want to baby him but idk if freaks me out lol. I know he can do it idk I guess I'm just not used to it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Quoting jessicaaris:

There is no policy at ds's school. I don't want to baby him but idk if freaks me out lol. I know he can do it idk I guess I'm just not used to it.

There is no policy at my son's school either.  I would go by what he wants.  If he wants you to walk him in, do it.  Otherwise let him walk in by himself.

I would be just fine with my son walking in by himself if he wanted to. Since he wants me to walk him in, I do that.  He's plenty independent & I know it won't be that long before he doesn't want me doing things like this so I'm enjoying it while I can.

masonsmommy107
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Ds walks in every day by his self he walks from the front of the gym to the cafeteria and then turns left to the kindergarten hall and sit in the kendergarten pod till the teachers come and get them he is fine with it he did have a little trouble finding his hall for the first 2 weeks of school but I knew I had to let him find his own way and the third grade teachers were so helpful with him (he kept going to the third grade hall which is right across from the kindergaden hall)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)