Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
If you drop you kids off at school do you walk them into their class or just drop them off in front? My son is my oldest and he is in kindergarten and I walk him into class everyday but I know he would be ok if I dropped him off in front. I see so many other parents but idk I feel like I should walk him in. But then I think it's just me holding on to him needing me for that when he doesn't really. Anyway I wanted to see what other moms on here did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

The lines are horrendous so my husband walks her to school everyday, weather permitting. For the times he has to drive her, he parks and walks her in.

stykir
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM

our school doesn't allow the parents to go inside to drop them off. the parents who drop off let their kids out on the sidewalk to walk to the door on their own. we're walkers, so i walk my son all the way to the door. it was never hard for him, so i dont know what i would do.

this year there was a little girl who cried daily for the first 2-3 weeks of school and the mom stood outside the doors with her while a teacher came to talk to her and take her inside. 

angelyuna20
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I drop DS off at the door to the gym, he walks in by himself.

AllanRaesMomma
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I walk Allan to his classroom most of the time. If he sees a friend then he walks in with his friend, but he does not want to walk by himself.

SwtSnowflake2
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM
At our school you were allowed to walk them in the 1st day only because they wanted them to learn independence.
meg4763
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:56 AM

DS is in K this year, and I walked him to class the first week. The beginning of the second week he said to me, "It's okay mommy, you don't have to walk me anymore!!" Oh my, I was kind of sad, but it is good for him. :)

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Dd is in 1st and is dropped off at the door unless she is late and then she has to be walked in and signed in and dh can walk her to her door. The first day, we walked her in and to her room but, she just started last month and we had to turn in her registration paperwork. Ds is in preschool and he has to be dropped off and picked up at the door of his classroom per school rules.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Here too.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Our school discourages parents walking their kids to class.  It clutters up the hallways because a LOT of parents want to do it.  There's a parent pick up/drop off line.  For the Kindergartners, at the beginning of the year, parents pin a paper to their shirt letting others know who their teachers are.  If they get lost, other teachers, staff or even older kids pitch in to walk them to class.  

In our school, they also have open house before school begins for the year.  The kids meet their teacher, and with mine I always walk the route with them from where their being dropped off.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My son took the bus in kindergarten. I rarely took him to school, and I've never walked him to his classroom.

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I only walked DS into his K class the first day--after that I had him go by himself (even though I could have walked him) because on the days we wouldn't be walking because of weather I didn't want to have to get my youngest son out of the car and drag him inside and back out to the car again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)