Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Help with my daughter and reading

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM
  • 14 Replies

My DD Mallory is 7 and in the 2nd grade.  They are expected to read 67 WPM but she is only reading 24 WPM.  Her teacher said it is weird because she is the top speller in her class she knows her sight words she knows all the sounds she knows how to read but she just reads at her own pace and the school wants her to be at 54 WPM by January.

So how the heck can she read 30 WPM in 2 months and how can you get a child to read faster???

We practice reading nightly and she goes to an after school program for reading and spelling tutoring  every Monday and Wednesday until 5:30 pm

Any advice would be grately apprciated 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, sounds like you do so much already....My dd is in 2nd grade too, and can read with the best of them...Ihave no clue about her WPM....What helps her is I make her read everything from menus to shopping list, she loves it and it helps introduce her to big words she dont learn at school....Also starfall.com. & wegivebooks.org helped her...Good Luck...

CountYouTwice
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We do timed reading daily for homework.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of the school caring about how fast someone can read. Do you know why they care?  Is it for standarized tests?

I'm far from an expert, but I'd think that practise is what it'll take.  

LOVE_mygirls58
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Thank you I have never heard of wegivebooks I will make sure to check that out

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

Wow, sounds like you do so much already....My dd is in 2nd grade too, and can read with the best of them...Ihave no clue about her WPM....What helps her is I make her read everything from menus to shopping list, she loves it and it helps introduce her to big words she dont learn at school....Also starfall.com. & wegivebooks.org helped her...Good Luck...

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Welcome, she can read books online free

LOVE_mygirls58
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM
loving the site! thank you again
bradandadamsmom
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I've not heard of wpm reading. I just say what you are doing is fine. I don't know how to make someone read faster. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

have her reread the same passages over and over. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

I've never heard of the school caring about how fast someone can read. Do you know why they care?  Is it for standarized tests?

I'm far from an expert, but I'd think that practise is what it'll take.  

Assessing fluency or reading rate is very common. I would be shocked if a second grade teacher wasn't doing it. Reading rate is very important and a good predictor of comprehension. Students who can't read 100 words per minute by third or fourth grade will struggle in all subjects because of the amount of reading they have to do. It has nothing to do with standardized testing. 

Tara922c
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ask the teacher to send home books on her level and/or try to find books on her level. Have your daughter read every single day, and have her read her favorite books over and over and over again, this will help with fluency. Google Reading AtoZ. You can get a free trial for 7 days and download books on your dd's reading level. I am a student teacher in a second grade classroom, and it sounds to me that your dd may have trouble decoding unfamiliar words. Your dd is below level in fluency, but she is not so below level that she cannot be helped.

I would also ask your dd's teacher or tutor for a conference and ask if he/she can show you how to help dd as she is reading. I am going to be quite honest; going from 24WPM to 54WPM in a two month span is not really realistic. You want your dd improve in fluency, but you don't want to overwhelm her. Look for growth, if she is reading at say every 40 WPM in January, means that she is improving. Do you know what reading level she is on? Her fluency may even be improved by practicing with books below her level. Let us know how she is doing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN