Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

i f***ing HATE my kids' school! I hate it! ever since my son started pre-k i've had nothing but issues with that place. ok maybe not pre-k but definitely kindergarten. here i'll explain. Pre-k: everything is good, he did great the teacher was a little snooty but other than that we had no problems. Kindergarten: OMFG his teacher was satan incarnate. I hated this women to the point where she and everyone else knew my feelings. why you ask? because when a five year old says something about his bookbag being dumb thats a normal kid thing, right? well oh no, she went ahead and said she was going to put soap in his mouth. he told me of course so i told her "um no you wont and please dont threaten my son, it wont be pretty." fast forward a few weeks i get told by my son that she threatened to tie him to his chair. does this woman want to lose her job? again i went in and said if she doesnt cut the crap i will have her job. a few weeks later? yeah he came home and his arm was red. this you-know-what grabbed his arm so hard it left a red mark. i flipped out and went to the school and darn near got arrested because i was going to break her arm. fast forward to first grade, no complaints, his teacher was a saint and i still let her know that she is the best teacher by far at the school, we just loved her. 2nd grade his teacher is a pompous toad. because i had him at 18 she assumed that i didnt have an education, i simply let her know that i graduated high school with honors and in the top ten of my class and was accepted into Niagara University when I was only in tenth grade, lets not go there. she was constantly talking down to all the parents and the kids hated her. my breaking point was as we were walking towards the car, my son picked up something that fell in the snow this woman grabbed his arm so hard that it actually yanked me back...and im a big girl! (not fat, but tall and chubby lol) i was floored! she had my kids arm in a death grip! so what did i do? i asked her if she liked her arm, because if she didnt let go of my son i was going to take it home with me. smh. now we are in 3rd grade...yay us. no problems thus far with teacher until this morning when my son was putting on this diabolical belt that even i have a hard time fastening i said "why dont you put on a different one, what if you have to use the bathroom?" he said "no, im not allowed to use the bathroom at all anyways" excuse me? what? huh? oh no, we dont do that. hubby even looked appalled. kids can exaggerate so i said im sure you can, he said no. so i told him i dont care what your teacher tells you if you really have to go, if it is an emergency and she is still telling you no, you get your butt up and who cares what she says and get to the bathroom. You are not going to get sick because she doesnt want to let you use the bathroom. i freaking hate this school. thankfully we are looking at houses soon and i am trying to move way out of district so they dont even have to go to the high school thats connected with the little asylum they call Maple Avenue Elementary school. it brings out the worst in me. i am such a laid back person and this institution makes me want to lash out and beat the crap out of someone. ugh! ok i need more coffee and i just needed to get that off my chest. dumbass school. i should add that when he gets homework i am the one teaching him how to do it since he is completely clueless, it's almost as if the teacher isnt doing her job

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
VeronicaTex
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

There's not too much more that I can add here except I want to point out one last opinion of yours, which is a blanket statement and the real reason I believe for this post to begin with:

....."the teachers don't care or they hire awful people" ...

In my heart of hearts I believe that was your reason and you wanted some sympathy...

In my humble opinion, it didn't go as planned, did it?

Bowing out,

Veronica

Quoting mary841108:

myself as well as other parents have brought it to the super. i have requested school transfers and everything and all of our requests are shoved aside. i do know the district is under fire right now due to test scores and one parent from the middle school has contacted the news channels to investigate, not sure what has come out of that yet since i dont know the parent personally. so its not just the elem. schools, its the middle and high schools as well. i've done the research and in western ny where we are, they did a forbes list of best/worst schools. there were 300 total schools included in this. our school district ranked #1 on the worst school list. our test scores are pitifully low, we have the highest drop out rate, parent/teacher communication is almost non-exsistant, and we have the highest violence rate (in the HS). its a sad situation. Now, i grew up in this area and blew thru school with ease. i graduated in the top ten of my class with honors, i never had issues with a teacher (except the substitute that wouldnt allow me to use the bathroom when i was pregnant, i was in my senior year, yeah it was stupid but abortion was not in my option list) i thought the schools were great and wanted my kids to go there but unfortunately something has happened between when i graduated and my kids started school. the teachers either dont care anymore or they hired awful people. i dont know. but there is an on-going fight between the district super and the parents of the kids that attend the schools. thankfully we are looking at houses waaayyyy out of the district. and the schools that are in that area are supposed to be fantastic, i've heard nothing but good about them and have done research on test scores, reading/math levels and so on and i am impressed. and i am a hard one to impress lol

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I find it unfortunate you arrived to that point of being mean. 

I do not myself agree with that tactic in a parent.  When emotions take over, it can only get ugly.

There are acceptable ways of dealing with things when you are not getting the results you feel you should be getting.

I see you have a college degree.  Surely you can find ways online to assertively request of the superintendent to investigate these matters.

I am sure you are well aware that teachers have to be accountable for their actions.

They are evaluated and believe me,  under scrutiny,  under administration much more than the public can begin to imagine.

Veronica

Quoting mary841108:

tried that, it didnt work. when issues first came up, i went and talked to the teacher and principal without kids so we can focus on the issue without distractions. i was polite and calm, but then it kept happening and happening. then i got mean.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you first of all for writing a reply without foul language.

Please do not give me names.  That is breaking rules of confidentiality.  Even as a former teacher I did not indulge in that kind of conduct.  I could have lost my job over that.  Even more importantly, integrity, morality and common sense is what I let govern my conduct.

I am still not finding a point where I can or will relate to you on anything.

I will say this:  when you can approach a teacher:  especially one you do not agree with with manners and a calm disposition is when you will start a line of communication where positive progress can be made.

Sincerely,

Veronica

Quoting mary841108:

their side, it was 3 teachers. i can give you their names, the school they work at and the city in which we live. along with a list of parents that also have major complaints against said teachers/school/district. i warn you, the list of parents might be crazy long lol. our school district was voted one of the worst in the state. Oh and i never disrespect the teachers in front of my kids. the whole do you like your arm thing was whispered to where only she  and i could hear it. Now, if these were your kids and all this happened to them would you not be upset and angry? and the only thing i am omitting would be how awesome the first grade teacher was and yes the pre k teacher was snooty but she did a good job with the kids and they all seemed to love her. but i cant say enough about the first grade teacher lol we just loved her!!! and yes i know they cant tell your kid they cant use the bathroom, doesnt mean they dont though. i had a teacher tell me i couldnt even though i was clearly 8 months pregnant (i just walked out and went and that was study hall lol we weren't doing anything of importance, passing notes and goofing off)

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Former teacher here:

I also highly suspect there is a great deal you are omitting from this story for attention-gaining reasons for yourself.

In all fairness to the teacher, as usual in this type of ranting, venting post, I would love to hear her side of it.  She is not here to defend herself.

I do not have much sympathy for a Mother who has to use foul language in an arrogant tone of voice to get her point across.

It is very telling about you.

Veronica

mary841108
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

again, i was venting not for sympathy because i can honestly care less what moms on here think of me. i dont need sympathy or pity from anyone lol. i was just typing that all out to get it off my chest for fear that i was about to burst with anger and i feel loads better that i vented it somewhere other than to a friend that is going thru the same thing as their kids are all in the same school district as mine (we do have our moments where we rant about the schools to each other lol) if you dont like me or what i have to say i am not about to go sulking in a corner because the internet moms dont like me thats hysterical! lol just wanted to get it all off my chest is all i didnt need the high horse comments but i found them to be comical.

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

well, its unfortunate that they feel they can abuse their power but i feel that most schools are the same.. i know that i have had nothing but problems with only the elementary schools... everything else is find.. the jr, high can be somewhat annoying but for the most part fine and the high school just gotta watch for them marking kids absent just cause there to lazy to find the kid..  

although i do have to say the school is a lot better then the small country schools...

mary841108
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

they marked them absent on purpose? thats insane! yeah our schools here are out of control. i can not wait to move lol. the district we are looking to move to is from what i hear absolutely amazing and the have a wonderful reputation for being attentive to each student and they keep up a constant line of communication with the parents which i find to be important.

Quoting sunflowers12:

well, its unfortunate that they feel they can abuse their power but i feel that most schools are the same.. i know that i have had nothing but problems with only the elementary schools... everything else is find.. the jr, high can be somewhat annoying but for the most part fine and the high school just gotta watch for them marking kids absent just cause there to lazy to find the kid..  

although i do have to say the school is a lot better then the small country schools...

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

yeah, my oldest son need to be put in credit recovery last year for his algebra and the school never told him or gave him his new schedule or anything in which they told me they would do... marked him truant for four days in a row causing me to get a nasty green letter in the mail threatening me with truancycourt!!! so i called down there and said lets get this fixed please they were pretty quick to get it fixed so out side of that the high school is ok... confused

Quoting mary841108:

they marked them absent on purpose? thats insane! yeah our schools here are out of control. i can not wait to move lol. the district we are looking to move to is from what i hear absolutely amazing and the have a wonderful reputation for being attentive to each student and they keep up a constant line of communication with the parents which i find to be important.

Quoting sunflowers12:

MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Omg here we go again ...
I'm not even going to comment on Veronica (well I guess I just did lol)
Op- my opinion is this IF what you said is true (the reason I say "if" is because I don't know you or the teachers and their side isn't being heard ) I would be livid also. However, I would handle it a little different. What you are describing is against the law if a teacher touched my child in a manor that left a mark I would file assault charges. If my dd wasn't allowed to use the bathroom I would talk to the principal, then, the superintendent, then the board etc I would continue to escalate my complaint until I got satisfaction. My dd school asks for classroom volunteers all the time I would volunteer for two reasons 1. Make sure I see whole picture 2. Police the teacher.
There are better ways to handle it. But your feelings are valid I cannot imagine any mother not being angry if her children were being treated like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mary841108
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

i was a senior, i didnt have him until after i graduated, but i graduated with honors and all that and went to college after. graduated june 22nd 2003 had my baby july 13th 2003 :)

Quoting mjande4:

You were pregnant in high school!?  Oh my.  SMH!

Quoting mary841108:

their side, it was 3 teachers. i can give you their names, the school they work at and the city in which we live. along with a list of parents that also have major complaints against said teachers/school/district. i warn you, the list of parents might be crazy long lol. our school district was voted one of the worst in the state. Oh and i never disrespect the teachers in front of my kids. the whole do you like your arm thing was whispered to where only she  and i could hear it. Now, if these were your kids and all this happened to them would you not be upset and angry? and the only thing i am omitting would be how awesome the first grade teacher was and yes the pre k teacher was snooty but she did a good job with the kids and they all seemed to love her. but i cant say enough about the first grade teacher lol we just loved her!!! and yes i know they cant tell your kid they cant use the bathroom, doesnt mean they dont though. i had a teacher tell me i couldnt even though i was clearly 8 months pregnant (i just walked out and went and that was study hall lol we weren't doing anything of importance, passing notes and goofing off)

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Former teacher here:

I also highly suspect there is a great deal you are omitting from this story for attention-gaining reasons for yourself.

In all fairness to the teacher, as usual in this type of ranting, venting post, I would love to hear her side of it.  She is not here to defend herself.

I do not have much sympathy for a Mother who has to use foul language in an arrogant tone of voice to get her point across.

It is very telling about you.

Veronica

mary841108
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM

ty! so im not crazy in feeling angry. mslogans mommy, you know my neighbor too ;)? our school only wants volunteers for parties, which sucks because i would love to go and volunteer. i took pics and showed it to the principal and she brushed it off like, oh no, she didnt mean it.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

Omg here we go again ...
Op- my opinion is this IF what you said is true (the reason I say "if" is because I don't know you or the teachers and their side isn't being heard ) I would be livid also. However, I would handle it a little different. What you are describing is against the law if a teacher touched my child in a manor that left a mark I would file assault charges. If my dd wasn't allowed to use the bathroom I would talk to the principal, then, the superintendent, then the board etc I would continue to escalate my complaint until I got satisfaction. My dd school asks for classroom volunteers all the time I would volunteer for two reasons 1. Make sure I see whole picture 2. Police the teacher.
There are better ways to handle it. But your feelings are valid I cannot imagine any mother not being angry if her children were being treated like that.

mary841108
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM

we can do this all day lol. so do you like instigating and causing drama? my tone of voice in here might be considered rude, but that was a venting post. have you seen my other one on books for christmas? i thought i was quite nice in that one. actually, so did a few others that i am sure have also seen this post. i was only rude to you on here because you were rude to me. i was polite with every one else but you came crashing in here like a bull on speed and started with your "im better than you, you're wrong, i'm right" attitude. so then you might want to watch your tone because all the other moms can see what you are writing too and how i asked you to stop and you kept right on instigating and baiting. so who is the little high schooler now, V?

MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Yes I know your neighbor well lol its just sad n entertaining now.
I hope you are able to move soon and get out of that district. Children should have positive caring teachers especially when they are just beginning school this is when they form an opinion about education. Sorry you and your kids are having a hard time.

Quoting mary841108:

ty! so im not crazy in feeling angry. mslogans mommy, you know my neighbor too ;)? our school only wants volunteers for parties, which sucks because i would love to go and volunteer. i took pics and showed it to the principal and she brushed it off like, oh no, she didnt mean it.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

Omg here we go again ...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)