Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Buying Used toys for christmas..good or bad?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM
  • 53 Replies

So I have done this many times before. eccspecailly when they were younger. when My dd was 2-3 I had boxed up all her old baby toys a year before. My 9  month old son got a few new things but I also pulled out that box and wrapped those up for him also. The next year we were given a used cozy coupe car for free So I cleaned it up, wrapped some wrapping paper around it and my son got it for christmas. They never noticed. My dd got a barbie house this way also. Given to me for free, wrapped it for christmas. last year someone gave me a Vtech for free and I gave it to them and bought them some games. This is year I am looking again to buy used toys in good condition. I just bought an Olivia doll house with all the pieces. great condition for $5. retails for $45. My 4 yo dd really wanted it. I am also looking for used DSi and such. My sister has says she would never do it because she likes things completely packaged and new. Am I wierd? I must add that I am a thrifty person. I coupon and only buy things that I can find a deal on. Does anyone else do this? or would you ever consider doing it?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

No.  I can't see myself ever purchasing used items for Christmas. 

my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I have given my kids used dsi's in the past. Used MP3 players along with brand new earbuds. I see nothing wrong with it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HyperMom38
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Been there and done it.  I don't see a problem with it- most of the time they never know the difference.

reche1978
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I've never done it but you do whats best for your family.  I do try TJmaxx, and marshalls for toys to.  Kids play with something for a minute then they forget about it and sooner or later they break it.  If you can save money why not.

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I don't think I would give my son used toys for christmas.

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this

i do.  I always get my dd's christmas eve pajamas at kidzagain (a childrens consignment store).  depending on what i find, i get my dh's gifts and depending upon what my dd wants i sometimes get hers used.  i think society has got too stuck on "new" and have become very wasteful.  my dd wants stuffed bugs for christmas and even decided thats wut she wants from santa, so i looked up how to make them out of socks and i'm going to be making sock bugs for her.

militarywife09
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM
I do. They don't care. Now I wouldn't as they became teens. One because they notice that stuff, and two they care for their things better, and they last longer.
banana-bear
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I see nothing wrong with it. Truth be told, people are way too wrapped up in consumerism. As long as the toy is in good shape, there is no reason why the world "needs" another one. We can't hide our trash forever and reusing items is the responsible thing to do.
ermka
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I sure hope other people do, lol. I'm trying to sell some of my kids' old toys to make money for new stuff.
nikkik526
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Well i usually get help with Christmas from a local charity group. Among the new things that people buy for the kids there is also a huge room filled with donated used stuff, you get a big black trash bag when you go in and get to take what ever you need/want and fill your bag (lots of times i wrap that stuff to if its new enough).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)