Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

multiage classroom

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is in first grade.  When going into first grade, I recommended that she would go into the multiage class.  There are first and second grade kids in there.  They do a lot together, but split off for their appropriate grade subjects like reading and math.  The way it works is my daughter would be in the same class (a husband and wife teach it)for 1st and 2nd grade. Well we were told yesterday that this is the last year for the multiage class.  The teachers have been teaching it for 17 years and they were told that they have to stop so they can teach to the new NYS standard tests for each grade level.  I am LIVID!  There were so many reasons I fought for my daughter to join this class.  I don't know what to do.  I kind of feel that now I should have my choice for her 2nd grade teacher next year.  I will do my best to get her into the best 2nd grade class because these 2 teachers were the best.  They both will be teaching 1st grade next year.  I wish they would be doing 2nd to finish off the 1st graders that are already in their class but I guess they need extra 1st grade teachers next year because they have a huge kindergarten class this year.  I am so mad and don't know what to do.  Anyone experience a multiage class and have any advice?  I want to go to the principal but I have no clue what to say. 

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds1 was in a multiage class when he was in kindergarten; K and 1st gr were the last grades still combined in the school as they were phasing that out. I wasn't too crazy about it b/c there was only 1 teacher for both grades and I felt each gr level got short-changed.

If you do speak w/ the principal, please keep in mind that the decision to separate the grades comes from much higher up, and most schools do not allow parents to pick their child's teacher.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Wakymom had a great advice. 

Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We call them combo classes here in Cali, my daughter seems to like it, last year she had a 2nd/3rd grade combo class and this year she is in a 4th/5th grade combo class. We have them because of budget cuts. As far as getting the teacher you want, just ask, worse thing that happens is they tell you no. We asked and dd got who she wanted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in a combo class twice: 2nd/3rd (when I was in 3rd) and 4th/5th (when I was in 5th). It was awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naomshi
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I love it because there are 2 teachers.  The classes are blended with both grades.  When it comes to the core acedemics, they go into groups of the right grade. 

I am trying to think out what I want to say.  I know it is not the Principal's fault that they are phasing it out.  I am just so upset about it. 

Quoting wakymom:

Ds1 was in a multiage class when he was in kindergarten; K and 1st gr were the last grades still combined in the school as they were phasing that out. I wasn't too crazy about it b/c there was only 1 teacher for both grades and I felt each gr level got short-changed.

If you do speak w/ the principal, please keep in mind that the decision to separate the grades comes from much higher up, and most schools do not allow parents to pick their child's teacher.

Naomshi
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I was lucky and I got what I wanted this year.  At the end of each year, they hand out a paper to all parents to list thier child's accomplishments and what they need to work on.  On that paper last year I wrote a lot about why I wanted her in this class.  She got it.  Her kindergarten teacher also recommended her getting into this classroom too so that helped. 

Quoting Cherish77:

We call them combo classes here in Cali, my daughter seems to like it, last year she had a 2nd/3rd grade combo class and this year she is in a 4th/5th grade combo class. We have them because of budget cuts. As far as getting the teacher you want, just ask, worse thing that happens is they tell you no. We asked and dd got who she wanted.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Never heard of Multi age classes. Our district doesn't have them. 

Naomshi
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM

They have it for 1st and 2nd grade and in the elementary I heard they have one for 5th/6th too.  It is so sad. When I went to school I never heard of it either.  I was really unsure about having her go into it, but after I learned about it, I fell in love w/ the idea.  I think it is great for her. 

Quoting WesternNYmom:

Never heard of Multi age classes. Our district doesn't have them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)