Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What should the repercussion be when parents...

Posted by   + Show Post

don't support their child's education?

If a parent won't contact the school, attend conferences, monitor homework, get their child to school regularly, or return phone calls should there be a consequence for that?

Is this something CPS should get involved in or maybe the court system. Should involvement in education be tied to PA benefits? Or is it a parent's right to neglect their child's education?

Debate...

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Quoting banana-bear:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

You hit the nail on the head. It isn't about hardships or family situations. (Sometimes) It's about what's important to parents and what's not.  Some parents don't think it's important for kids to be clean or well fed. Should we all just mind our own business about that too? (No, of course not, but that is neglect. You're comparing apples and oranges.) IMO, not ensuring your child gets an education neglect too. Kids who lack basic academic skills have no opportunities for further education and very few job prospects. They are being crippled for life when they are denied the change to learn in school. Unless of course the parents are teaching them how to run the family business or live in a farming community where they know their children will farm once they come of age. Farmers need reading and math skills too.  Education isn't top priority for every career. Sure, it is for the most lucrative ones. But I know plenty of people who married into wealth or have no need to work because they are supported by their spouse. Is that something I would choose? No. But it's not my place to say it isn't right for them either.

How is asking parent to support their child parenting the child? It's asking the parents to do it? But you aren't merely asking them to support their child academically, you are wanting to penalize them for not doing it the way you see fit. I don't want to penalize anyone. I want all parents to help their child and ensure they have environment where they can thrive. If working to avoid penalties makes that happen in some cases that's fine with me. And in doing so, you are effectively trying to parent their kids in this aspect of academic support.

Look, I get that you're concerned and have good intentions but I just don't see how you think it's okay to penalize a parent for something that is not that big of a deal. And here we have it. It's a very big deal. Your family is the exception to the rule. Most kids in that situation do very poorly and don't get very far in school at all. Ask a few fourteen year old drop outs how often their parents spoke to their teachers. You will almost always get the same answer. Never.

My grandparents (who raised me from 1st-9th grade) were NEVER involved with my schooling. They never went to a parent/teacher conference, never spoke with my teachers about me or my progress, never helped with my homework, etc. I was in the gifted program and continued to stay in honors and AP classes after elementary school. Being an uninvolved parent does not equate to an academically failing student. I'm proof of that; as are my two brothers.

banana-bear
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Let's just agree to disagree. We each have our own opinions and we are not the only ones who feel the way we do. Good luck with the parent who has you flustered so. I hope that it gets resolved.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Thanks. 

It won't get resolved, but I appreciate the sentiment. And it's not one parent, it's many. But thanks. 

Quoting banana-bear:

Let's just agree to disagree. We each have our own opinions and we are not the only ones who feel the way we do. Good luck with the parent who has you flustered so. I hope that it gets resolved.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I agree with you Max 100%!
To suggest that if you have a trade that you don't need an education is ridiculous! That's why so many CTE courses partner with the junior colleges. Simply taking auto classes does not ensure that you have the skills to be a good mechanic. Trades are VERY important, but education is STILL the key to successful careers.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM

if the school cant get a hold of them, from what i understand cps will get involved depending on offense.  I know cps was called on a parent for not picking up their kinder child after the 5th time.  Truancy (not attending school) is taken very seriously as well here.  Now for the other stuf, not much can be done if the parent is always working so they can not make it to the school for meetings.

dcdmattison03
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I think CPS is a little extreme, they have more pressing issues to deal with like abused children. However parents do need to take some sort of responsibility but to what extent. Like my sons' school doesn't let you know exactly what time your parent conference is until the Friday before. THat doesn't work for me all the time if I can't get somebody to switch my shift at work. This time it worked out because I am on maternity leave. Phone calls- if the parent works the same time school is in then that won't work either. emails- are a good form of communication me and my sons teacher communicate this way all the time but what about the parents without email.

I am in no way condoning parents who neglect conferences and corospondences I am just stating different circumstances. Let's face it some parents could care less about their kids education which is sad.

soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:19 PM

You can't force a parent to be involved in their child's education.  Besides, maybe there's circumstances that you don't know about that they can't be.  I think it would be crazy to call CPS for something like that.  I mean, it's not like they are harming the child.

family in the van   Mom of four

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM
I think there should be a seperate division set up thst brings acs and the school together. It's important for parents to be involved in their kids education. I'm not talking about the parent who misses one conference but like you said the parent who has never been seen who's kid is failing, something needs to be done. My mother didn't care about education at all, she let me and my sisters stay home when ever we wanted and never went up to the school or even spoke to the school. Guess what out of 7 of us only 2 went to college and that was only after we got GED's and had a baby. I wish someone would've stepped in especially because there was other abuse going on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:27 AM
I was involved with my kids education when they were in public school and now I am involved even more since I now home school. I have all my paperwork in order. I have my receipt of the notice of intent, my approval letter regarding their curriculum, the acknowledgement of them receiving their first quarterly report, etc. I have all their completed and graded work in a separate folder per child and one folder for work to be graded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Well said I feel the same way.......... I choose to get involve in my son life because I want a better future for him.

Quoting snowangel1979:

It kinda a slippery slop and where's the line.
Unfortunately you can't make people care.
You can't tell a single mom who works and is struggling, to take a day off to go to a conference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)