Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How to entertain an 8 year old on a long flight.

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM
  • 29 Replies

I'm traveling to the UK with my 8 year old in Dec and we have a 7 hour stop over in Chicago and then an 8 hour flight to the UK. I am wondering what entertainment to bring with me. Hopefully she will sleep some on the flight as it's over night but the 7 hour stop over might be a tough one.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Depending upon her interests I would consider

-sudoku (there are lots of versions)

-ken ken

-hangman 

-a few travel sized games (many popular board games are now made travel sized or even in cards)

-yarn (for finger crochet or string games)

-paper dolls(or trucks or anything) and colored pencils

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Books, dolls or a craft set.  What kinds of things does she like to do?  She is old enough now she could pack her Ă«ntertainment/flight"bag with things that will keep her occupied.  that 7 hr layover would be killer for me as an adult let alone a child.

auroragold
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM

7 hours at O'Hare (if that's where you'll be) shouldn't be too bad. There's TONS to do there! 

Buggy979
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Leave the airport for a couple hours if you will be at the airport for a long time... Ipad works wonders... Down load movies, games and gave coloring books..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherguatmom
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM

If you have 7 hours in Chicago.  You could take her to Shedds Aquarium, or a museum.  This would tire her out even more.

matofour
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM
At eight she should be able to entertain herself fairly well.
Have her pack a backpack if what she wants.
Books, coloring, some cards games.
We travel with squinkies (small super portable).
iPod with movies, or handheld game.

At eight, I would think you can explain, this is going to be a long day, you need her ehelo to behave, and you will do your best to keep her happy as well.
But, honestly at eight she should be a good traveler.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thebailiffs
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I know it sounds crazy but a blow up beach ball. You can squeeze all of the air out when you get on the plane. 

FaceTime is always great if you have an Idevice ( iPod, Ipad).

have fun

clairewait
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I also agree with letting her plan most of her entertainment.

One thing I do though, is set the "entertainment schedule" so my kids don't go through everything in the first hour and have nothing left.

With an 8 year old I'd probably help her organize her stuff into hour long chunks, and help her set times for activity switching.

Plus, you'll probably eat.

I agree with an iPad with a couple good movies and games. If she listens to music, that can pass a lot of time...

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

soymujer
by Mikki on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Quoting matofour:

At eight she should be able to entertain herself fairly well.
Have her pack a backpack if what she wants.
Books, coloring, some cards games.
We travel with squinkies (small super portable).
iPod with movies, or handheld game.

At eight, I would think you can explain, this is going to be a long day, you need her ehelo to behave, and you will do your best to keep her happy as well.
But, honestly at eight she should be a good traveler.

family in the van   Mom of four

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I agree with others on letting her help pack her own backpack with things to help keep her entertained. 

Books if she likes to read, word searches, coloring books, headphones for music, etc.  Bring any kind of tablet or laptop you have with games and movies on it for both of you too. 

Make a list of things to find (a scavenger hunt) while on your trip.  Tell her she gets a reward if she is able to get so many things checked off the list before you reach your final destination. 

You can also research what there is to do close to the Chicago airport.  If there is a shuttle available, and how much attractions cost if you don't want to spend your entire 7 hours in the airport. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)