Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Emotional Child

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM
  • 24 Replies

My middle child is 6 years old. She is very emotional and sensitive. I do have a concern though. She cries at the drop of a hat, does not handle change at all and she organizes everything and doesn't like anyone touching it, if someone touches something of hers, she has a melt down.

Here is the most recent incident. My youngest son was playing with measuring cups. My middle child tried to take them away from him saying he was going to break them, I told her that is was okay because I can buy more for cheap at family dollar. She asked me if they will be the same ones, and I said well they will be the same measurments but maybe a different color and shape. Well she had a melt down, full blown crying and she wouldn't stop. 

Another time is when I moved her room. My two girls share a room and my son has his own room. my son has a bigger bed so I thought he should have the bigger room. The oldest wanted the smaller room because it only had one window. Well just recently I wanted to change their rooms back to where the my two girls would have the bigger bedroom. Well my middle child had a melt down, she didn't want to change rooms, I mean she was acting like the world ended, she doesn't even want me to move her bed in her room.

I am concerned that there might be a medical problem or something... any suggestions on what it might be.

Thanks

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Maybe have the school psychologist talk with her just to make sure.  You could also just have her doctor talk to her about things to touch base on emotions.   I cry very easily at any strong emotions which is hard when trying to have a talk with someone and they think you are upset but you arent.

rhoopes
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Maybe have the school psychologist talk with her just to make sure.  You could also just have her doctor talk to her about things to touch base on emotions.   I cry very easily at any strong emotions which is hard when trying to have a talk with someone and they think you are upset but you arent.

We homeschool, so I think I will have a talk with her doctor. :)

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Quoting rhoopes:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Even though you homeschool, your district may still offer services in case you need more help.  Is she able to cope being around alot of her peers during an activity or say at the park?

CafeMom Tickers
rhoopes
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

She does great around other kids. Just at home she likes things her way and gets real emotional if things are not. For a while I thought she couldn't handle all of her emotions. She can be really angry to really sad. My first daughter was not like this, so this is new to me. I have a 3 year old boy, I am hoping he won't have these issues.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting rhoopes:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Even though you homeschool, your district may still offer services in case you need more help.  Is she able to cope being around alot of her peers during an activity or say at the park?

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM
My son(5) is the same way. He does not handle change very well at all. Any kind of transition sets him off. :/ I know the feeling. Therapy has helped a little. He was diagnosed with moderate to severe anxiety. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Don't feed into it or try to get her to calm down. Tell her she can cry all she wants to, in her room with the door shut. She shouldn't be allowed to bother the family with that. And I'm speaking from experience. My 4 year old is the SAME way. But she takes that mess upstairs and away from me until she calms down and can speak normally.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM
Does she show any signs of being gifted? Have you ever evaluated her? My dd is extremely emotional and sensitive. It's a very common characteristic.

Edit- all dds emotions are extreme, lol. When she is really angry and upset she tells me she wishes she were dead, and it's usually over something so small that just sent her spiralling down into gloom and doom and despair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM
My gifted child is too. He has other issues too though so I'm not sure what comes from what lol.

Quoting veganistic:

Does she show any signs of being gifted? Have you ever evaluated her? My dd is extremely emotional and sensitive. It's a very common characteristic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephadams1107
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:22 AM
My 6 year old is the same way.. He is a middle child so
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veganistic
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM
I thought my dd was hyperactive, but apparently she is not. She's just insane! Lol (not really)... She cannot walk at home. She must run, so the cats are terrified of her. She's a perfectionist at school though, because she thrives on competition. Best behavior, best grades... At home she lets it all out!
The emotions she can't really help though. I'm trying to learn how to help her navigate them and express herself appropriately. Luckily I was also super sensitive and over emotional so at least I can relate to the helplessness of having negative feelings take over and not knowing what to do with them. Hoping that makes me a qualified guide for her.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My gifted child is too. He has other issues too though so I'm not sure what comes from what lol.

Quoting veganistic:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)