Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Charter Schools...

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 38 Replies

Does your state allow for charter schools?

Will or do your kids attend a charter?  How do you think they are superior to public schools?

If you don't think charters are beneficial, why not?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Yes my son attends a charter homeschool and we love it. I don't think all are superior to all public schools. It depends on the schools.
I love that the charter school gives my son tons of opportunities without a cost
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
The charter schools around here are producing 4th graders who cannot read. I don't like the public schools either so I homeschool.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ametrine
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Can you describe a charter homeschool?  How does that differ from a site location charter?  Is it mostly an online curriculum?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yes my son attends a charter homeschool and we love it. I don't think all are superior to all public schools. It depends on the schools.
I love that the charter school gives my son tons of opportunities without a cost

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I have no experience so i can not say.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
There are different formats at different charter schools. I chose between one about an hour away and one about 15 minutes away. The one an hour away gives $800/student/semester for curriculum and extra curricular activities.
The one I chose has a library full of various curriculums as well as books. I love our school library. It has puzzles, games, computers for students, laptops parents can check out to use on campus, etc. It is always full of students and is a favorite place on campus. There is a courtyard with a lawn area and a playground as well as an outdoor stage. There's always an impromptu game of tag, soccer, football, you name it going on. Sometimes the schools rock band plays on the stage.
curriculums are checked at from the library. They are due at the end of the year except workbooks which are ours to keep. If something isn't working for us we get something else. The librarians are amazing at helping find things and will order anything that's out of stock.
we have a mentor teacher who encourages and guides us but in the end I am in charge of my sons education.
students do state testing. They are held to state standards. The high school exit exam is given. They do field trips, school pictures, holiday parties, dances, sports, prom, science camp (all grades), book fairs, you name it.
there are optional workshops as well. Being in kindergarten my sons workshops are all fun. Pottery, show and tell, art, akido, theatre, hands on science, and social skills. He wants to do lego robotics and chess next year. He has a play next month. Hes made bottle rockets and a mouse trap car. Hes had so much fun and learned so much!
they still have a special needs program and teacher. My little guy is going into the gifted and talented program. He will meet one on one with an academic councelor weekly to make sure he is being challenged. My nephew has been held back twice and the academic councelor is helping him catch up so he can graduate on time. My niece is going to graduate with college credits. As they get older the fun workshops are still options but there are workshops like geometry, drivers ed, and foreign languages.

Quoting Ametrine:

Can you describe a charter homeschool?  How does that differ from a site location charter?  Is it mostly an online curriculum?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Not here. It makes me sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol -no, charter schools are in no way "superior" to public schools.

46% perform equal to public schools and 37% perform significantly worse than their public school counterparts.

Charter schools have,sadly, become the "Trojan horse" of the "reform" movement, which is really a push to privatize public Ed. That is not how charters were started and I support the initial way they were to be utilized.

My kids won't be attending one. They go to great public schools.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My state does allow them. 

Like any other school, I judge them all individually. If a local charter school was the best educational option for my children I would go there. That's not the case though. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Our state allows them and my dd started at one towards the end of October after she made it to the top of the waiting list. It is one of the best schools in our state and is K-8 and only accepts those that have qualifying test scores in the Superior and above iq range which our state considers 127 and above. They don't do any "teaching to the test" for the state testing because the students don't need it. They are in school from 8:30-3:15 and they have 11-12:30 everyday set aside for lunch and recess for the entire school. They have 1-2 specials everyday with them having 2 days with 2 lining up with their gym days. They ability group Math, Reading, Writing and Spelling in K-4 and their "middle school" 5-8 students are ability grouped for every subject. They also have several high school level courses that the students can complete and earn the HS credit for. 

We have some online charters that are mixed in serving students and some others that are brick and mortar again with mixed scores. In our area, the charters overall are far superior to the public schools but, in the next county over, they are equal or under the level of those schools. 

momma0ffive
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
my kids attend a charter school. I dealt with a public school for six years before they went to charter..... I will not go back to public my Child
classes are small in size and they have t.a. and volunteer so the child to teacher ratio is awesome! they get way more attention. I love it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN