Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Cyber School vs Public School vs Catholic School

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, does anyone have any experience with Cyber School? DS is in 4th grade in a Catholic School. I love the fact they get Religion daily, and go to church weekly. The level of their teaching is so high, I love how the kids are challanged-which is not the case in our local public school, it lacks in that department, the teachers there do not really care. I have no intention of sending him to the public school, in this district, if we could sometime move, I would consider it. However, the discipline in our school is lacking (I cant win), I expect more from a Catholic school, but I guess all teachers hands are tied nowadays. The kids in DS class are so bad-I have seen it first hand, when I say bad I mean out of hand. In the good ol days nuns would not stand for this behavior. Wishing we had a little of that now. DS is getting C's on things, and he always was an A/B student (mostly A's). He says the kids are distracting. They talk and carry on, and the teacher tells them to stop, then writes thier names on a  "list", at the end of the day those kids on the list owe the teacher $5 out of the pretend money they earn doing jobs in the class, they also have a class "store" that they spend their pretend money, and use a checkbook.

I don't think that is a proper way to punish kids who misbehave.

DS is miserable mostly about school. When I talk to the teacher she convinces me she is handling things, then they never change, another parent has the same complaint. We are a small school, one class per grade. So he is stuck with the same kids from kindergarten till 8th grade. Every year we meet with the teacher about the same child, and nothing gets done. I think they are so afraid to lose any students tuition.

I have toyed with Cyber School, but not sure about it. He really needs social interaction, we have one neighbor kid, that is it. When he is not home, DS is by himself. (we have a small house and dogs, not the best situation to have kids over, but you cant always have kids over either, on school days and such)

So is Cyber School something I should look into? Or would it be better to look into another local Catholic School? I am stuck right now, not sure which way to go or look. Hate to leave the one or two kids and parents we get along with, yet hate to stay if the few kids who bully and bother him will make him miserable.

Any suggestions?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this

If there is another Catholic school near you, I'd check it out.  Can't hurt!

Can you look into homeschooling groups?  Often times, they have so many outings the kids are getting as much socialization there as they would in school.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Bump

Kharmoni
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I did K12 with my daughter for Kindergarten and some of 1st grade. I pulled her out of K12 because we had both fallen very ill and she ended up getting behind on lessons and required hours, so I put her in our local public school (also because my daughter wanted to have friends). She's been there 3 weeks maybe and she's come home crying because of other kids making fun of her and also putting their hands on her. I've sent letters and emails  to the teacher expressing my concerns  and wanting to set up a meeting with her, she pretty much told me that my daughter was the bully and was hitting 3-4 other students on a daily basis.  We have a meeting with her teacher next week but something tells me we're most likely going to go back to homeschooling, virtual or otherwise.

I say look into other Catholic Schools if possible but there's absolutely nothing wrong with Virtual Schools or homeschooling with any other curriculum you choose.  If socializing is super important, there are plenty of homeschooling groups that plan weekly activities for the children.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I have had terrible experiences with Cyber school. 

Basically it's an A mill. Students leave public school and their grades skyrocket, so parents assume it's a great for their child. But when kids are re-enrolled in traditional school it's very clear they have huge gaps. Teachers are told to boost grade to increase enrollment. For some kids it might be a good fit. And in other areas I hope it's better. But I would look into traditional home school before I'd do cyber school here. 

I know public schools vary considerably, but have you actually sat in on some classes recently? One of the local Christian schools closed last year and many parents were forced to send their kids to the public school where I teach. Every one of those families ended up being thrilled. They had all heard terrible things about the school, but realized that sometimes rumors are just not accurate. Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

PensFan99
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Ours is bad. The teachers don't care at all about the kids. And the education level is far below where he is now. It is the area we are in, it sucks. We just cannot afford to move right now, as much as i really want to...

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I have had terrible experiences with Cyber school. 

Basically it's an A mill. Students leave public school and their grades skyrocket, so parents assume it's a great for their child. But when kids are re-enrolled in traditional school it's very clear they have huge gaps. Teachers are told to boost grade to increase enrollment. For some kids it might be a good fit. And in other areas I hope it's better. But I would look into traditional home school before I'd do cyber school here. 

I know public schools vary considerably, but have you actually sat in on some classes recently? One of the local Christian schools closed last year and many parents were forced to send their kids to the public school where I teach. Every one of those families ended up being thrilled. They had all heard terrible things about the school, but realized that sometimes rumors are just not accurate. Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I have no experience with cyber schools. I am not sure that would be a good route for my son.

rhoopes
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Both my daughters are enrolled in a Cyber school. They have been enrolled since Kindergarten. They have never went to a brick and mortar school. I personal love our Cyber School. We go to OHVA (Ohio Virtual Academy). I love the fact that I can be involved in their education and I can really see what they need help with. 

I personally wanted to homeschool because I had a terrible experience with school. I was bullied from elementary all the way to high school. I think if I didn't have to watch my back all of the time, I would have gotten better grades. 

I don't worry too much with socialization. My thoughts are that I am raising my kids to be adults, so why do I subject them to only kids their age. I feel they should learn to interact with all ages. A lot of people think cyber school is when your child sits in front of a computer all day. That is not the case with our school. Elementary kids learn mostly from the parents. I have everything I need and I also have  teacher if I need help. 

Both of my kids have online sessions with their teachers and other classmates once a day for 30 minutes. To me that is not bad at all. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM
I agree with this. If your not 100% comfortable homeschooling look at other schools.
I'm not a big fan of the online schools especially K12. I've heard they're really lacking.

Also- I homeschool and in a rural area.
I'm not in a actual co-op but there's sooo many homeschool programs, feild trips and classes that I could have my DS in something everyday of the week. I can only imagine what how many things would be in towards the city. I joke that it was like a whole underground world, that I didn't know about untill I jumped in. LOL

Quoting GwenMB:

If there is another Catholic school near you, I'd check it out.  Can't hurt!

Can you look into homeschooling groups?  Often times, they have so many outings the kids are getting as much socialization there as they would in school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Why haven't you gone to the Principal or to the Parish board? If your child is being bullied, in a private school, I bet if you threaten to pull him ( take away funding) things will happen.

We use a homeschool based Charter school and I'm all for alternate educatioin but NOT for something that SHOUD be able to be handled simply.

janitablue
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I agreed make an appointment with the Principal ASAP your son should no longer feel miserable at school. If that does not work look into different school whatever you decide to do make sure you do your research. Good luck

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Why haven't you gone to the Principal or to the Parish board? If your child is being bullied, in a private school, I bet if you threaten to pull him ( take away funding) things will happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)