Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ADHD help

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
I just had a meeting withy sons 1st grade teacher. She made a list of areas of concern such as:

Tremors/shaking hands when frustrated

Difficulty following directions

Difficulty staying focused

No short term memory

Difficulty following through with daily activities

If he makes a mistake on something they tell him how to fix it and he makes the same mistake.

He sometimes stands or kneels at his desk. He needs to be told to sit.

I guess sometimes when they are doing board work he looks like he is staring off into space.

He also has a hard time copying stuff from the board to his paper.

I have had a few of these same issues at home with him. He is going to be 7 in feb. he is very smart, reading way above grade level but he is extremely busy. It is hard to keep him focused especially when he gets frustrated.

Anyway, his teacher suggested we get him tested for ADHD. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and if it sounded like he had symptoms of ADHD.

I am doing and have done my own research. I have also set an appt. with the dr. I was just hoping to get some of your opinions/experiences.

Thanks ladies. Hope you all have a great night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LaciAmberlyn
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM
My child has been dx with ADHD and odd. She has been on medication since she was 5 and has a therapist she sees weekly. It made a huge difference with her school work and behavior. I was at first reluctant about putting her on something and being so little but the change that happened has been good. You hear a lot of horror stories about medication and the side effects. You just have to find what works best for your child. Good luck to you on this journey,
Codysmom2106
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM
That's what scares me the most...the medication. I want him to be successful in school and life but the meds terrify me.

Quoting LaciAmberlyn:

My child has been dx with ADHD and odd. She has been on medication since she was 5 and has a therapist she sees weekly. It made a huge difference with her school work and behavior. I was at first reluctant about putting her on something and being so little but the change that happened has been good. You hear a lot of horror stories about medication and the side effects. You just have to find what works best for your child. Good luck to you on this journey,

LaciAmberlyn
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM
And it is a scary thing, I hated to put her on anything but with the complaints at school and her behavior at home something had to happen I will tell you my child has a more extreme side of things . I asked her one day how she felt about everything , she said when she doesn't take her medicine she feels like she is being pulled in every which way and unable to control herself and when she is on it she is able to be calm and actually understand everything. Like I said its what best fits your child
jaydensmom1726
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

i have adhd and if it wasnt for meds i would never have made it throught school.

even as an adult i would go back on meds if i could afford to go to the dr. 

with kids that age on meds you just have to make sure to talk to him and ask how they make him feel

janitablue
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Here is a website that was recommend through a doctor I hope this help

Click on CHADD

banana-bear
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM
The best medicine for my ADHD/ODD diagnosed child was pulling her out of public school and homeschooling her. Everyone says she is a different child, for the better.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM
I'm glad you were able to find something that worked for her.

Quoting LaciAmberlyn:

And it is a scary thing, I hated to put her on anything but with the complaints at school and her behavior at home something had to happen I will tell you my child has a more extreme side of things . I asked her one day how she felt about everything , she said when she doesn't take her medicine she feels like she is being pulled in every which way and unable to control herself and when she is on it she is able to be calm and actually understand everything. Like I said its what best fits your child

Codysmom2106
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Thanks so much for all of your responses and for sharing your stories.

Can anyone tell me...the instances that I have listed...,do these sound like something you or your kids that have been diagnosed experienced?
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Also keep in mind you are getting a little ahead of yourself your child has not been tested yet so he may not have it and even if he does have it you dont HAVE to medicate there are other alternatives you could try first before you go that route most moms do try the other stuff first like changing diet avoiding dyes in foods given your child fish oil supplements there is EEG treatments. There are non stimulant ADHD meds as well as stimulant so you really have a lot of options good luck I hope you find what works for you and your child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)