Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Donations as gifts

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 8 Replies
So this year for my SD birthday party. We had the kids bring a donation to an animal shelter instead of gifts. For one, her birthday is so close to Christmas she'll be getting more gifts anyway. She has so much stuff if we got her gifts for her bday, they got her gifts for her bday, there's be nothing left to get for Christmas. She didnt mind cuz she still got some gifts from us. I was just very proud of her for not putting up a fight. So now she's 7 and next week we'll be dropping them off and I hope she feels good about herself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RLT2
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:15 AM

As long as she's happy, I think it's very sweet!

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Great idea! One of DD's friends did that this summer for his birthday. Teaches a great lesson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyjen314
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Yeah I stole the idea from a bday party she went to last year but they did canned goods. With holiday birthdays u have to do something different. I STILL don't know what to get her for Xmas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a great idea. My sons birthday is 3 days after Christmas. I might have to try that. My son doesn't care about gifts.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I agree, this is a great idea.  I love teaching kids to be generous and caring of others and that "stuff" isn't important at all.  Being loved and cared for is much more important than all the "stuff" in the world.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this idea. I always tell the parents that call asking what to get my boys to just bring them to the party. That's all the kids want is to have their friends over. But I might try this. So many places in our area are in need to this would be a great thing to do.

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Thats cool

Tracys2
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I like it and wish I saw kids around here doing it. We don't really have parties with presents from other kids because my kids don't have close friends like you could invite, but I'd love to have them do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)