Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

8 year old pretending to be a dog

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM
  • 23 Replies
Hello everyone, I'm a mom of twin 8 yr old girls and I'm in need of advice. Today at my in laws one of my girls was playing doggie and she let one of her cousins put a leash around her neck and walk her around like a dog. She likes to play this game a lot and she has a group of friends at school that she plays this same game with. A few weeks ago she came home from school with grass stains on her knees and when is asked what happened she said she was playing puppy. I told her she could play but not to drag herself around and ruin her clothes. I asked if the other girls that played were also crawling around the ground on their knees and she no it was just her. I told her to please stop.It really bothered me that she was the only one doing it. 2 weeks later she had grass stains again so I made her scrub the grass stains off in the bathroom sink. I figured that would make her stop. Today I found out she was wearing a leash and walking like a dog. I was so pissed off I yelled at her and sent her up to her room. I feel like I'm not doing my job and raising her to have self esteem and confidence. I asked why she thinks the other girls don't crawl around and wear leashes and she said probably because they don't want to get dirty. It really bothers me that she's the only one doing this. Am I over thinking this too much? I want my girls to be confident and assertive. Any advice would be appreciated. I've been a SAHM since they were a year old.

Thanks.
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
periwinkle163
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Personally I think you are over-thinking, puppy is a favorite game of my kids, they both also play it at school. My dd is 5 and my son is 8. They both just think it's fun and it uses their imaginations.

PerfectVirgo
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I played it when I was younger. I promise I'm normal. ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Ive known more kids who have done this than have not. Just set limits like it must be in a clean area like inside the house. And make her a leash with Velcro in case it gets caught on something it will pull right off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I do tent see the big deal.
If honestly be happy my daughter still had her innOcence at that point.
My stepson was having oral sex at eight..... At school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are way overthinking this.  Let her use her imagination and if she lets others put leash on, just make sure that the "owner"does not abuse the position.   DD and her classmates always pretend they are cats.  One friend loved to nuzzle the other friends as a cat would.   My dd went through a phase of wanting to wear a leash as well and i would just put it on her shirt collar or tie something around her waist.  When she pretends to be a horse she finds a saddle for me to put on her.

calsmom62
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM
We played pony growing up, with jump ropes as reins. I think its normal
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
You are over reacting,I think. You have a tomboy. My major concern would be the leash placement. I'd forbid a leash around her neck that it had to be around her waist ONLY, for safety reasons.
periwinkle163
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting hollydaze1974:

You are over reacting,I think. You have a tomboy. My major concern would be the leash placement. I'd forbid a leash around her neck that it had to be around her waist ONLY, for safety reasons.

I agree with this, I only allow it on the wrist, never the neck, once I explained why there was no fight over it.

twinnmom
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I wasn't looking at it as an innocent game and more like her being told what to do and her just being a follower. It doesn't help that we have 3 dogs at home and the thought of one more is frightening. I'll have another talk with her tomorrow to make sure she's playing this because she wants to and not because someone is making her do it because she's the only one that will actually get down and walk like a dog.
Thanks again.
mom2Bellarose
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM

My daughter is almost 7 and plays dog constantly at home, the park, and school. She has been a dog for Halloween the last two years. She had a complete crying meltdown one day at the park because another kid told her she couldn't be a dog. I understand but I think your reading to much into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)