Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

5-yr old has Mono!!!

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM
  • 24 Replies
I'm so upset over this! First we want to the doctor because his tonsils were so swollen and there was puss in the back of his throat. So he checks him and thinks he has an abscess in his throat. They tell us to see an ENT immediately. ENT could not see us until 4:30 (11:30 at the time.) So his doctors were life we really don't want to wait that long take him to the ER. So of we go the ER doctor said she couldn't tell if it was an abscess because his tonsils were so enlarged (they are touching.) So he had to get an IV and get a cat scan. All the results came back negative. Go into work realize I have 2 missed calls from ER doctor and regular doctor staying he has mono but is on the right medication.

I'm so upset that my 5 year old got mono I'm wondering how the heck he got it. The only thing I can think if is school. DH and I never had it so I'm just clueless!

**Update**

He is doing a lot better! His tonsils have gone down a lot. He is acting crazy so he is back to normal.

**Update2**

Just got a call yesterday around 6pm from the ER doctor. They said they found something irregular in his blood work besides the mono and strep. They said I can either take him in last night or tomorrow (today.) So that's what we are going i'm the morning. Wish us luck!

**Update 3**
We want and they basically did nothing. Doctors said he looks great so they didn't feel the need to further test him. We just need to check up with his regular doctor on Monday.

Thanks ladies!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids732
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM
:-( hope he gets well soon!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarShy740
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Thank you luckily he is feeling better since ER visit (Tuesday.) I'm just so confused on how.

Quoting ilovemykids732:

:-( hope he gets well soon!!
makelineerror
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this
School water fountains are a great place to get things like mono. Kids put their lips all over the faucet, and those things never get cleaned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarShy740
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM
I've been thinking about calling the school. Like asking and giving a warning.

Quoting makelineerror:

School water fountains are a great place to get things like mono. Kids put their lips all over the faucet, and those things never get cleaned.
keeler_s
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry poor little guy. My son had it at one point too a couple years ago.
Hope he feels better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Mono is fairly common in children.  I would call the school to let them know that your son has it, but I wouldn't ask who he got it from since the school can't tell you which child has it.  The most that they can do is send a note home informing parents that there is a case of mono in the building.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I agree with steelcrazy, call the school and tell them that your child has mono. It's likely that several kids were exposed by someone who may have just been diagnosed like your child, but just a little farther along in the contagious string.

I was in a similar position with my oldest child in kindergarten. He and several kids came down with the chicken pox on the same day. We took the heat for being the contagion because he had his b-day the day before the rash broke out. In reality it was probably the group being exposed.

All you can do is be responsible and warn the other parents.

Hope he feels better quickly!

jen113000
by Jenna on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Hope he feels better quickly. I got mono when I was 20. And couldn't figure it out either. I would imagine he shared a drink or something like that with someone. It's very easily passed on.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Nov. 23, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Totally agree with Steel. 

Really it doesn't matter where he got it, what matters is that you are taking care of it and that you take the responsibility for reporting it to the school.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Quoting makelineerror:

I've seen our custodian wipe them down at the end of the day but between 8:45 am and 3:30 pm, there are probably hundreds of lips on them (which is why I send in a waterbottle with instructions to my daughter not to use those nasty bubblers).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)