Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

STUCK! Christmas ideas to help SD in school!

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM
  • 11 Replies

We are looking for a Christmas present for my 9 year old step daughter (4th grade). She is only with us every other weekend so we are not in on much of the studying (not by choice). Just recently we have been able to see how she is doing when it comes to everyday grades. To sum it up...she needs help. Her mom (along with the 3 other adults in the house) don't help her study. She is left to do it on her own in her own room. They "review" her work when she is done, but it is obvious that they don't know if the answers are correct or not.

My question is...What types of games, materials, etc. can we get her for Christmas that she would be able to take to her mom's house to help her? I know kids don't really want educational things for Christmas, but we need to do something. The reason she couldn't study her math is because they wouldn't buy her any flash cards so she could study multiplication (we went out and bought her a set...I mean come on, they were 1.99). She needs help in math, geography, reading...well...everywhere.

Do you know of anything that might encourage her to study or pay more attention instead of rushing through it all? Games, marker board, anything?

Thanks

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM
What about a DS they have some math games and other educational games.
Or one of those educational child's tablets.
(LOL trick her into learning.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me look around for age appropriate educational fun games.  For our 6 yr old I want to get a melissa and doug US geography map but i am not sure what level 4th graders are on.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

small laptop or tablet with websites such as xtramath.com, 10 marks, razkids, sheppard software, funbrain, a+ math, etc already set up. It seems the electronics keep the attention span the longest. The sites I mentioned are sites my kids have to do everyday for school. Teacher approved. I'm sure there are more out there too. A tablet you can also download the kindle/nook app for books, and access the local libary website for access to their downloadable ebooks and audiobooks, or other services the library subscribes to like tumblebooks.

It is a pricey gift, but can be used for many years to come.

2Busy4Choas
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I too would search the smaller tablets- Last year we got our daughter who is now 6 an Innotab which she LOVES- BUT, Im not sure on the games and learning games you can upload how OLD the age goes. This year we are getting her a Kindle Fire for Christmas. We can upload games but she can also use it as a reading tool.... Just depends on how much you wish to spend- Search all the tablets and also websites mentioned that can be used on your computer.

We go to http://www.abcmouse.com/ - its 7.00 a month and WELL worth it- you can track how the child does, but AGAIN, I dont know if it goes up to 4th grades...

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

http://www.melissaanddoug.com/usa-map-learning-puzzle

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
An iPod Touch might be good because she have fun with it and there are lots of learning apps she can download.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Although I agree that electronics can be great tools, they aren't going to replace support for the people she lives with. iPads, DSs, and touches can all be great educational tools. But they can also all be filled up with junk that's purely for fun. If you get her something like that to help with school I would lay down strict ground rules about what games she is and is not allowed to have on it. 

Is there any point in taking to her mom?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:03 PM

The other thing she needs to do is read. If you could get her into something on the weekends she's with you that would be great. Maybe if you start something with her she could finish it up before she comes back. If you get her into a series you could have the next book in the series waiting for her. 

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

You're in a very frustrating situation. Have you or DH considered volunteering at her school? She needs reassurance that school matters. That would be the best thing you could give her educationally. Is DH in communication with her teacher? The teacher would likely appreciate knowing that someone cares. If DH gets involved, that could spur BM to be active. 

If she doesn't have the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, get those books. They are very popular with that age group.

divamommao
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I buy my kids educational toys all the time.. Try looking into Vtech and Leap frog both have wonderful things to help. I buy both and they have helped..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)