Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should we reward kids for good grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think children should get a reward for good grades or should they be expected to get good grades in school?  If you give a child a reward one time for getting good grades, do they expect a reward every time? 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
militarywife09
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM
My oldest is in Kindergarten, but once she gets grades I will probably reward her. Adults get paid to do good work right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I think that good grades are expected but I do plan to treat them for it as well. There will also be consequenses for bad grades if they didn't put in the effort I know they could.

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I reward and no my DD does not expect it every time. It changes on what we do, money,toys, shopping trips for a full year of awesome grades, she gets a cell phone in 3 weeks for her great grades so far this year cause we have 2 bad teachers and she still rocked it and was honest so we are beyond proud of her for that.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:40 AM

My mother gives all her grand kids 10 dollars for making straight A's per term; if they can do it for the whole year, they get 100 dollars. This has proven heard to measure for mine, because their school used a numbers based system. But since they get advanced in all subjects, we count that as an A. But they have to get that in effort, as well. Both boys pulled it off for first term.

So, yes I do think kids should be rewarded for good grades. If they receive poor grades, likewise their are consequences.

LexRi0709
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM
I look at the overall effort. If my dd (my oldest is the only one is school right now) then she gets a reward like going out to dinner when we get the report card. I don't care about the letter grade as long as she tries her best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Quoting LexRi0709:

I look at the overall effort. If my dd (my oldest is the only one is school right now) then she gets a reward like going out to dinner when we get the report card. I don't care about the letter grade as long as she tries her best.

That's why I reward for effort in elementary. There is no effort grade in high school but if Jason can get an A in his classes (4 of them being honors), then I figure he's obviously putting in the effort.  My son is more than capable of pulling straight A's; I think he got his math/science brain from my mom because they're definitely not DH's or my forte.  My daughter is just in first grade and hasn't gotten her first report card yet (they come in December; we're on a trimester schedule).  As long as she gets O's for effort, I won't care about the letter and her elementary report cards will give me a basis for her for when she gets to the grades where they do away with effort grades.  

rose4607
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

good Grampa gives 5 bucks and we will usually get him a small toy or something. He is an awesome student that has received principal's honor roll every grading period since he started school, so for 4years all A's! I totally think all that hard work deserves a reward! 

AleaKat
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Yes and yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3KidsOneMom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

We don't do rewards like toys or candy. But I praise my 6 yr old when she does good at school and tell her how proud we are. she is in Kindergarten so maybe when she gets a little older we may do a reward not sure.

calsmom62
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM
We don't pay for grades. Over the years when they were younger arcades gave tokens for As,but we just told the kids we expected them to do their best. If they brought home a C and it was their best, then so be it, but since none of their teachers said a C was their best, the bar was higher. Fortunately all the kids have done well, on honor rolls, deans list and the older two went on to great colleges and excelled. When the kids have a skill that needs to be developed, executive functioning, writing development, etc., we have hired tutors or the kids have sought out teachers for addtl help. The real reward for the kids is when they know they tried, did their best, and can feel good about the effort they put in. I will say that at various times we did have to restrict screen time and we have school yr rules ...nothing else till homework is done . Don't think my kids are perfect, or that I'm a perfect mom, because I'd be pinocchio if I said all was hunky dorry. its not, and kids balk, mom gets cranky, dad gets stressed and teens slam doors. But overall it works in our house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN