Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should we reward kids for good grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think children should get a reward for good grades or should they be expected to get good grades in school?  If you give a child a reward one time for getting good grades, do they expect a reward every time? 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR CHILD ABUSE!simple frown

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (141-146):
thebailiffs
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I have to say, I didn't have time to read all 140 posts.  But I read some of them to understand what people are saying. I have also been thinking about this post a lot. 

One of the responsibilities that we have as parents is to teach our children to have character.  One of the ways that we can do this is to expect our children to want to get good grade and then achieve that.  This is a hard skill to build in children, but working hard to achieve good grades it a great way to build self-esteem. It also helps to give them praise when they achieve success.

No, I do not and will not pay for grades. I hope my child works hard to acheive the best he can. If that is A's then great. What is more important to me is that he learns and becomes well rounded. There are a lot of smart people in the world, but not enough kind people in the world.

(I know this is off the subject, but there are studies that show that 50% of college students starting at a competitive college need to take remedial classes to pass a basic English class. )

azeventdiva
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM

My teen get's $5 per A. $1 per B. Nothing for anything lower than a B. I started rewarding grades about 4th grade. You get paid for working, why shouldn't they get a reward of some sort for doing their job? School is their main job, and getting a reward of some sort (my daughter likes money, but a night out to the movies or something would be good too) helps to motivate them to continue doing a good job.

littleleesmom
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM
In the real world you get rewarded for doing well, with promotions pay raises and bonuses, why not get the same in school?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I agree.  This is why I don't understand when people argue that you *don't* get rewarded for performance in the real world.  

You do. 

Adults and children have varying factors for motivation.  Some may need that extra boost, some may not.  

Rewarding kids for a good performance in school is hardly making them "soft" or teaching them horrible habits.  

Quoting littleleesmom:

In the real world you get rewarded for doing well, with promotions pay raises and bonuses, why not get the same in school?

natesmom1228
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

No I don't reward for good grades. It is expected from him.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

DS gets rewarded for grades if he makes "A-Honor Roll" we give him $5 and so do his Godparents. If he takes an AR test and makes an 80 or better he gets $0.25 a book , and if he gets a gold star for the week he gets $1. Some may think this is a lot but since we started rewarding for gold stars he has done so much better than in the past. The Honor Roll thing is a lot harder for hi also b/c he is in "GT" .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN